Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    GCSE grades: 7A*s, 3As (from pretty low-scoring state school)
    AS reformed: AA (136/140 and 133/140 in physics and chemsitry raw marks)
    A Level Maths: A* (290/300 raw marks)
    Predicted Grades: A*A*A*
    NSAA specimen: 84%
    Practise Oxbridge program interview (at school): Very good

Senior Mathematics Challenge: Gold
    Physics Olympiad: Gold
    C3CL: Gold

1) Based on this, what are my chances of receiving an offer? Out of 10?

2) What does an ECF do? Is it worth submitting one that affected my GCSE results?

3) Are raw marks seen by the AT (as well as the interview obv but specifically the AT)?

Murray Edwards Admissions Peterhouse Admissions Christ's Admissions

ReputationRep:
    If you actually achieve that mark in the NSAA and get a "very good" (relative to other applicants) interview then I'll bet an awful lot that you'll get a place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JammieDodger27)
    If you actually achieve that mark in the NSAA and get a "very good" (relative to other applicants) interview then I'll bet an awful lot that you'll get a place.
    No word of a lie I genuinely did... Would be useful to hear it from the actual point of view of Cambridge though...
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Glanviator)

2) What does an ECF do? Is it worth submitting one that affected my GCSE results?

3) Are raw marks seen by the AT (as well as the interview obv but specifically the AT)?

1) Nobody can tell without seeing your full application including PS, reference and other contextual information and how that compares to all of the rest of the applicants to your subject in that year. You are a competitve and realistic applicant and are likely to be interviewed but we can't say more than that.

2) The ECF lets us understand your application in its proper context. It is for you to decide whether to submit one, but we'd always rather have one than not, there's no cost or penalty associated with submitting one.

3) Raw marks from AS levels will only be seen if your teacher submits them.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep

1) I don't feel comfortable giving you numerical odds, because your chances of securing an offer will depend heavily on the strength of the competition, and the strength of your overall application; also, surprises can and do occur in both pre-interview assessments and interviews. But I would say they are extremely good, and we would welcome an application from a candidate with your profile at Christ's.

2) An ECF provides contextual information that may help Admissions Tutors and other assessors interpret any apparent under-performance, either in the past (affecting GCSEs, say), or in the future (should you do worse than expected in your A-levels, say). I would say your GCSE results are strong enough, relative to your school type, to render an ECF superfluous, but by all means submit one if it reassures you.

3) For Maths, yes, because they go in the SAQ. For reformed subjects, not unless you or your school submit them.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep

As has been suggested by the others, you have a strong paper profile but it’s impossible to put a figure on you’re chances. You just need to focus on doing your best and leave the rest to us.

An ECF provides context where events may have affected your schooling. It will never be a negative and can help us get a full picture of your application and, off the circumstances are ongoing, help to prepare support for when you arrive.

We’ll see raw marks if submitted by the school and the AT will see them. The AT sees everything that the interviewers see.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 5, 2017
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.