The Student Room Group

Should I drop A2 Chemistry?

Currently, I have taken maths, further maths, physics and chemistry to A2, and have gotten 4A's at AS.

I am planning to do aerospace engineering at university, and general engineering at Cambridge.

I want to drop chemistry because I dont really enjoy it anymore, but the Cambridge university website says that if you take a fourth subject at A2, it shows that you can handle a large workload since the subjects of maths physics and furthermaths are similar.

How much would it decrease my chances of getting into Cambridge if I take maths physics and furthermaths ONLY to A2?

Thanks
Original post by cotkhd
Currently, I have taken maths, further maths, physics and chemistry to A2, and have gotten 4A's at AS.

I am planning to do aerospace engineering at university, and general engineering at Cambridge.

I want to drop chemistry because I dont really enjoy it anymore, but the Cambridge university website says that if you take a fourth subject at A2, it shows that you can handle a large workload since the subjects of maths physics and furthermaths are similar.

How much would it decrease my chances of getting into Cambridge if I take maths physics and furthermaths ONLY to A2?

Thanks

I’m always of the opinion that if a university, especially Cambridge, says they like to see something then you’d better do it. The competition will be immense and they’re literally telling you what they want, you’d be a fool to ignore that.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by cotkhd

Thanks

Wow ur basically my twin
Original post by Shaanv
Wow ur basically my twin

Read my post above yours.
Reply 4
Original post by Glassapple

What if instead of taking A2 chem, I pick up additional further maths AS level?
Reply 5

I said basically, im bot really considering dropping chem but everything else is the same😂
Original post by cotkhd
What if instead of taking A2 chem, I pick up additional further maths AS level?

You’ve already answered this question yourself, you’ve said that Cambridge states that the workloads of maths, further maths and physics are similar. Additional further maths will obviously fall into this description.
Reply 7
You’ve already answered this question yourself, you’ve said that Cambridge states that the workloads of maths, further maths and physics are similar. Additional further maths will obviously fall into this description.

what if i take additional^2 further maths
Original post by cotkhd
what if i take additional^2 further maths

I actually thought you wanted a serious answer...
Reply 9
Mate if u dont like chem and dont think ur gonna get a good grade drop it and accept whatever consequences may arise from your decision.

Be decisive and be a man. If cambridge say a 4th is preffered u can bet there are loads of others who are doing chem who will have an advantage over u.

U have the facts now make ur decision
Reply 10
I actually thought you wanted a serious answer...

LOOOOOOL im joking thanks for the advice man, Im gonna try and take chem for a couple months and see if it gets more interesting but if not im gonna drop
Reply 11
Original post by cotkhd
LOOOOOOL im joking thanks for the advice man, Im gonna try and take chem for a couple months and see if it gets more interesting but if not im gonna drop

Lol i thought u were serious too and i was kinda rude above. Sorry mate.

What exam board r u for maths? What modules u doing?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Shaanv
Lol i thought u were serious too and i was kinda rude above. Sorry mate.

What exam board r u for maths? What modules u doing?

Maths is edexcel

This year im taking C3,C4,M3, FP2,FP3,M4, and perhaps M5 and FP3 if I drop chem
Reply 13
Original post by cotkhd
Maths is edexcel

This year im taking C3,C4,M3, FP2,FP3,M4, and perhaps M5 and FP3 if I drop chem

Im debating whether or not to do fp3, looks like a meaty module with a lot of complex ideas, i wouldve loved to do m4 but i dont think im gonna be able to fit it in
Reply 14
Original post by Shaanv
Im debating whether or not to do fp3, looks like a meaty module with a lot of complex ideas, i wouldve loved to do m4 but i dont think im gonna be able to fit it in

My advice would be to take FP3 cause the first year of eng at uni is learning the core pure modules at a level, so you would be at a MASSIVE adv. Take as many FP's as u can

Quick Reply

Latest