Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Boosting personal statements Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hellooo! I really want to know what types of things I should be doing right now, in terms of reading list and any school activities since I am at the start of year 12. Please can someone advice me because I feel the time will go sooo quick to when it comes to apply to UNI! xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ridpx)
    Hellooo! I really want to know what types of things I should be doing right now, in terms of reading list and any school activities since I am at the start of year 12. Please can someone advice me because I feel the time will go sooo quick to when it comes to apply to UNI! xxx
    It would help if you knew what you wanted to apply for at university. There’s no point running a science club if you want to apply for history.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glassapple)
    It would help if you knew what you wanted to apply for at university. There’s no point running a science club if you want to apply for history.
    Oh right! sorry. I can't quite choose between law and something like physics. I have got a few work experiences law related but I don't know what else to do. Especially for physics. I really want to keep my options open but want to have the stuff so that if I do decide to do either, I can do it!

ReputationRep:
    You could do some extra reading on the degree field you are interested in, or some relevant work experience. In terms of school activities, try to look out for any positions of responsibility - running clubs or head boy/girl

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing obvious you can do for physics unless you have contacts with someone who works at a physics based centre. Jodrell bank is near me, and if you were in that area I would definitely advise you try there. If not, do some wider reading as you can mention this on your personal statement and If you apply to a university that does interviews they may ask you about it and you can talk about what you read.

Law is very specific. A few days worth of experience as a solicitors is really good and is pretty much the basis of what you need to get in to study Law. Again, I suggest wider reading on the topic as mentioning a related journal you read always helps.

For both of them, see if there's a summer school you can sign up for somewhere for after AS and before A2. Academic ones related to your intended courses are even better! Some of These cost money and some are free. These are really good to mention and form part of UCAS. Voluntary work anywhere is also good as you can talk about transferable skills.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.