Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I will be applying for PPE in Oxford this year and I'm currently deciding which college I should apply to.

I have a strong preference for The Queen's college and Worcester college. However, during the summer I spent a week at a Jesus College Summer School run by a PPE tutor at the college who is heavily involved in the admissions process for PPE at the college.
    My Head of 6th and my More Able and Talented Scheme coordinator have both received very good feedback about me from the aforementioned tutor. I think I probably made a good impression and was involved in a tutorial (which seemed to go well) and initiated some lengthy discussions with lectures which, again, seemed to go well.

So, that's the background; My question, perhaps rather predictably, is this:

Am I likely to have a higher chance of gaining admission to the University if I apply to Jesus rather than Worcester or Queen's?
    Also, if I am more likely to gain admission via Jesus, should I disregard my preferences in order to increase my chance of admissions?

I hate to attempt to play the college-choice numbers game but it seems, in this instance, that tactics may well make a difference.

Thanks!
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by lcswtts)
    I will be applying for PPE in Oxford this year and I'm currently deciding which college I should apply to.

I have a strong preference for The Queen's college and Worcester college. However, during the summer I spent a week at a Jesus College Summer School run by a PPE tutor at the college who is heavily involved in the admissions process for PPE at the college.
    My Head of 6th and my More Able and Talented Scheme coordinator have both received very good feedback about me from the aforementioned tutor. I think I probably made a good impression and was involved in a tutorial (which seemed to go well) and initiated some lengthy discussions with lectures which, again, seemed to go well.

So, that's the background; My question, perhaps rather predictably, is this:

Am I likely to have a higher chance of gaining admission to the University if I apply to Jesus rather than Worcester or Queen's?
    Also, if I am more likely to gain admission via Jesus, should I disregard my preferences in order to increase my chance of admissions?

I hate to attempt to play the college-choice numbers game but it seems, in this instance, that tactics may well make a difference.

Thanks!
    If you made a good impression then I wouldn't be too hung up about your chances. As you correctly identify, whichever college you decide to apply to doesn't affect your likelihood of acceptance to the university as a rule of admissions. Yes there a statistics which indicate slight advantages one way or another, but these change frequently because every year is different.

My advice would be to stick with your preferences.

For more on college choices see here:
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wik..._Pros_and_Cons

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.