Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I recently started Year 12 and have just realised the stress of writing THE personal statement and all the activities I need to take part in to strengthen my PS. I want to study English Literature and hopefully one day become a teacher in this field, however I have applied for basically everything that my school offers for extra-curricular things such as; Student Senior Leadership Team(SSLT), Voluntary work in the Library,Sign Language and EPQ, last week I had an appointment with the board of SSLT, however I accidentally came 10 minutes late to the interview since I read my email wrong and misplaced the appointment 10 minutes late, however they did still interview me and 'apparently' it looked as though i seemed 'to not care', when I was a total nervous-wreck especially since there was 10 of them, I did apologise for the lateness but still they didn't think my interview went well except for a few, therefore I cannot be a part of that team unless I try again next year with the new board(who are all year 13 student by the way), but I've just let that go for next year and will just have to apply next year. Also I applied for the EPQ and will be able to do it only if I pass my maths this November so I'm not that stressed out about it as hopefully I will pass, and lastly the only thing I do certainly have is the voluntary work in the Library and a sign Language course at this particular moment and I'm not sure if I should take part in other things outside of school plus I'm a beginner and don't know where to start or where to go if I do, its all really new to me and doing 3 A-levels and a resit its just getting bit too frustrating if anyone has any other ideas for Extra-curricular activities please do let me know as I know its essential for Uni. Also I'm contemplating signing up for the Duke of Edinburgh Award and the NCS in summer, however I'm not sure how many months the DoE award is and If I should once again leave that up until next year, please advise me on what other things I should do for this Eng Lit Degree and if you are a student to please let me know what extra things to do!

Thank you to those who advise me on this I will seriously appreciate it.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hana777)
    Hi all,

I recently started Year 12 and have just realised the stress of writing THE personal statement and all the activities I need to take part in to strengthen my PS. I want to study English Literature and hopefully one day become a teacher in this field, however I have applied for basically everything that my school offers for extra-curricular things such as; Student Senior Leadership Team(SSLT), Voluntary work in the Library,Sign Language and EPQ, last week I had an appointment with the board of SSLT, however I accidentally came 10 minutes late to the interview since I read my email wrong and misplaced the appointment 10 minutes late, however they did still interview me and 'apparently' it looked as though i seemed 'to not care', when I was a total nervous-wreck especially since there was 10 of them, I did apologise for the lateness but still they didn't think my interview went well except for a few, therefore I cannot be a part of that team unless I try again next year with the new board(who are all year 13 student by the way), but I've just let that go for next year and will just have to apply next year. Also I applied for the EPQ and will be able to do it only if I pass my maths this November so I'm not that stressed out about it as hopefully I will pass, and lastly the only thing I do certainly have is the voluntary work in the Library and a sign Language course at this particular moment and I'm not sure if I should take part in other things outside of school plus I'm a beginner and don't know where to start or where to go if I do, its all really new to me and doing 3 A-levels and a resit its just getting bit too frustrating if anyone has any other ideas for Extra-curricular activities please do let me know as I know its essential for Uni. Also I'm contemplating signing up for the Duke of Edinburgh Award and the NCS in summer, however I'm not sure how many months the DoE award is and If I should once again leave that up until next year, please advise me on what other things I should do for this Eng Lit Degree and if you are a student to please let me know what extra things to do!

Thank you to those who advise me on this I will seriously appreciate it.
    For English Lit admissions staff are looking for academic extra curriculars.

Basically reading. Read outside your studies. Read a broad range of material. Different genres. Different time periods. Keep a reading diary with some notes and thoughts about what you’ve read.

Other things you can do include theatre visits, watching/listening to different adaptations of books. Reading poetry. Writing. Poetry slams. Follow your interests in your own time and not just what your school organises.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.