Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can people who are doctors/ doing medicine in uni/got accepted for med...please tell me what u got for your GCSE results ...so I can see whether I have a chance of getting in xxx
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Have you heard of entry requirements? All medical schools list them on their websites.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Volibear)
    Have you heard of entry requirements? All medical schools list them on their websites.
    yes but everyone that gets accepted has way more than the minimum. you really think people get into medicine with 6 B grades at GCSE ? I don't think so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mayflower320)
    Can people who are doctors/ doing medicine in uni/got accepted for med...please tell me what u got for your GCSE results ...so I can see whether I have a chance of getting in xxx
    You can't tell anything from someone's GCSE results. Uni applications include so much more than that - Personal Statement, UKCAT/BMAT and A level predictions, so someone could have all A* GCSEs and still get 4 rejections.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magnificentMOULA)
    yes but everyone that gets accepted has way more than the minimum. you really think people get into medicine with 6 B grades at GCSE ? I don't think so
    What is this minimum? Different medical schools take GCSEs into account in different ways. It doesn't take a genius to realise you need decent GCSEs but most medical schools will tell you the importance they place on them. As it stands, the most important thing to meet are your maths and English grades.

What are your GCSE marks?

ReputationRep:
    What is this minimum? Different medical schools take GCSEs into account in different ways. It doesn't take a genius to realise you need decent GCSEs but most medical schools will tell you the importance they place on them. As it stands, the most important thing to meet are your maths and English grades.

1A*5A 2B

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    You can't tell anything from someone's GCSE results. Uni applications include so much more than that - Personal Statement, UKCAT/BMAT and A level predictions, so someone could have all A* GCSEs and still get 4 rejections.
    I just wanted to know ...
    Yes I am aware of that...but there's a difference between minimum requirements and what they acctually want...universities don't say exactly what they prefer ... because then everybody would be try to do the same thing...sooo obvs a person doing medicine would know better

ReputationRep:

the minimums are their websites eg . at least a b in English maths and a few other subjects. I was replying to your earlier comment about mayflower asking about GCSE and u were on about entry requirements . what Im saying is the energy requirements in the website done mean anything. just cus u have the minimum doesn't mean u will even be considered

ReputationRep:
    the minimums are their websites eg . at least a b in English maths and a few other subjects. I was replying to your earlier comment about mayflower asking about GCSE and u were on about entry requirements . what Im saying is the energy requirements in the website done mean anything. just cus u have the minimum doesn't mean u will even be considered
    Well obviously. But considering how competitive medicine is, I doubt anybody is silly enough to only work for the minimum if they can achieve higher. However, once you have your GCSEs there's not much that can be done except try to make the rest of your application strong and apply strategically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mayflower320)
    1A*5A 2B
    Your still have a fair chance. I was expecting a lot worse tbh. There's nothing you can do about your GCSEs now but what you can do is smash the rest of your application and avoid medical schools that are GCSE heavy.

ReputationRep:
    Well obviously. But considering how competitive medicine is, I doubt anybody is silly enough to only work for the minimum if they can achieve higher. However, once you have your GCSEs there's not much that can be done except try to make the rest of your application strong and apply strategically.

I agree . I also think that school need to make us more aware about entry requirements and how hard these applications really are form a young have because I had no idea and knowing how difficult it was really gonna be would have given me a change to prepare myself

ReputationRep:
    I agree . I also think that school need to make us more aware about entry requirements and how hard these applications really are form a young have because I had no idea and knowing how difficult it was really gonna be would have given me a change to prepare myself
    Why should they make it more aware? I am planning to go down the medicine path as a graduate but when I had just finished my GCSEs I had no intention of studying medicine. Heck, when I had finished my A-levels I still had no intention! I just got good grades because I had a work ethic instilled in me from the start. Even if I didn't know what I wanted to do, working hard to get good grades would most likely make it easier in the long run.

However, i do understand what you mean and this is why medical schools consider a lot more than just grades and why some medical schools care less about GCSEs than others.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Hundreds of profiles here
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...d.php?t=865511

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.