Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

DSA - Help for one bedroom flat with Asperger's and Anxiety Watch

ReputationRep:
    HI All,

So I'm a few weeks into my course and the stress of living with other people I don't know is really effecting my Asperger's and anxiety.

My Asperger's makes talking to and being around other people a lot harder (most the time I can't even make eye contact with people and I have to constantly think about everything I'm going to do or say) so as a result of this I also have pretty bad social anxiety (as well as a general anxiety disorder and depression).

Just the change of moving so far away from home is having a really bad effect (again, Asperger's makes me react REALLY badly to change) so I keep going home every weekend and I'm seriously considering switching to a course more local to home for that reason, as well it meaning I'm closer to my mum who, when I get really bad, practically becomes my carer (literally my first few days here she had to come with me and make me eat because I was so panicked I couldn't get food or even remember to eat and when I'm at home she helps out if I'm struggling with other chores.)

The other problem with roommates is if something happens or bothers me I massively struggle to say anything, plus the walls are so thin I can hear almost literally everything in my roommates room which, again not helping, because I need to get in a quiet safe zone without noises going of and making me anxious.

Anyway! (sorry for the ramble there) TL;DR I was wondering if DSA would be able to help me out with the cost of moving into a one bedroom flat. I would look into doing it now but my contract here is until June now so I'm stuck for now unfortunately and it will be more of a problem next year (I'm doing a foundation year right now so my workload isn't too overly heavy but next year I'm really going to need to live in an environment I'm not so stressed by)
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anitra)
    HI All,

So I'm a few weeks into my course and the stress of living with other people I don't know is really effecting my Asperger's and anxiety.

My Asperger's makes talking to and being around other people a lot harder (most the time I can't even make eye contact with people and I have to constantly think about everything I'm going to do or say) so as a result of this I also have pretty bad social anxiety (as well as a general anxiety disorder and depression).

Just the change of moving so far away from home is having a really bad effect (again, Asperger's makes me react REALLY badly to change) so I keep going home every weekend and I'm seriously considering switching to a course more local to home for that reason, as well it meaning I'm closer to my mum who, when I get really bad, practically becomes my carer (literally my first few days here she had to come with me and make me eat because I was so panicked I couldn't get food or even remember to eat and when I'm at home she helps out if I'm struggling with other chores.)

The other problem with roommates is if something happens or bothers me I massively struggle to say anything, plus the walls are so thin I can hear almost literally everything in my roommates room which, again not helping, because I need to get in a quiet safe zone without noises going of and making me anxious.

Anyway! (sorry for the ramble there) TL;DR I was wondering if DSA would be able to help me out with the cost of moving into a one bedroom flat. I would look into doing it now but my contract here is until June now so I'm stuck for now unfortunately and it will be more of a problem next year (I'm doing a foundation year right now so my workload isn't too overly heavy but next year I'm really going to need to live in an environment I'm not so stressed by)
    Who do you get your funding from? Student finance England don't help with accomodation costs anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Who do you get your funding from? Student finance England don't help with accomodation costs anymore.
    I am with student finance England but I'm also signed up for DSA who I've heard can help out with things like covering the cost of living somewhere with an en suite if you need one for a disability, so I was wondering if they could something similar for me.

ReputationRep:
    I really don’t know but contact dsa
    My son has Aspergers and stayed at home and commuted because it was just too much
    Dsa paid his travel costs.
    Ring them and speak to student support ASAP
    Someone will be able to help you even if it doesn’t mean moving
    You can do this, good luck

ReputationRep:
    My DSA needs assessor recommended to DSA/SFE that I should get my accommodation difference paid for due to needing an adapted bathroom and needing on-site, ground floor accommodation, but DSA/SFE refused to pay this and my university ended up helping me with the difference in accommodation fees for all three years. This was between 2013-2016. I was also told that it's very hard for people to get that difference paid for by DSA and so I feel like considering my needs assessment was in 2013 it's unlikely that you'd be given that as a recommendation now, but it's worth asking your university's disability support team or whatever your university calls it.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I've not heard of student finance / DSA doing this. Most of the time, it's usually the difference between standard and en suite.

If you receive PIP care (either rate) you can claim the one bedroom rate of housing benefit.

ReputationRep:
    A university shouldn't charge a disabled person extra for ground floor accommodation and an accessible bathroom. That would be discrimination. If a specially adapted bathroom was needed, then it would be regardless of whether the student was at university or not and so couldn't be considered an additional cost incurred due to disability whilst at university.

OP, have you or your disability adviser contacted your funding body to see if any help can be offered? I didn't think that any accommodation costs could be covered any more, but it can't hurt to ask.

(Original post by Pathway)
    My DSA needs assessor recommended to DSA/SFE that I should get my accommodation difference paid for due to needing an adapted bathroom and needing on-site, ground floor accommodation, but DSA/SFE refused to pay this and my university ended up helping me with the difference in accommodation fees for all three years. This was between 2013-2016. I was also told that it's very hard for people to get that difference paid for by DSA and so I feel like considering my needs assessment was in 2013 it's unlikely that you'd be given that as a recommendation now, but it's worth asking your university's disability support team or whatever your university calls it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lovesick)
    A university shouldn't charge a disabled person extra for ground floor accommodation and an accessible bathroom. That would be discrimination. If a specially adapted bathroom was needed, then it would be regardless of whether the student was at university or not and so couldn't be considered an additional cost incurred due to disability whilst at university.

OP, have you or your disability adviser contacted your funding body to see if any help can be offered? I didn't think that any accommodation costs could be covered any more, but it can't hurt to ask.
    :confused: An able bodied person could've been in the same room, I had the difference paid back to me because I didn't have a choice with regards to accommodation. I had to pay "extra" because I wouldn't have been able to go to university so it was a cost incurred because of my disability, hence why it was recommended on my needs assessment that DSA/SFE pay it back, they refused, and my university paid the difference instead.

ReputationRep:
    Will moving into your own acccomodation help you with your social anxiety problem? Or will the other problems that you have might surfaced itself during other times?

If you feel in the long term you can eliminate them with having your own room, then it is brilliant. But I also suggest you look into sorting out the other issues - get your parent(s) and the Disability Support Centre at your place of study together and look seriously into helping you settle in and find ways to cope with your problem. How you write here is how you should let them know exactly how certain situations made you feel. They wouldn't know how to help you if you don't tell them. Or if it helps write it down on a piece of paper and give it to both parties.

Student Finance can help once you get assessed at their Assessment centre. I assumed you have gone through that assessmet procedure. Every case is different and the level of help they provide can vary too.

My son has Aspergers - diagnosed since he was four years old - and he is in his first year at Uni. We had to get the maximum student loan to put him in catered, single room Hall accomodation for the the first year to lessen all the possible problems of settling down independently at Uni, cope with his studies and social environment. It is not cheap but we'll worry about the loan repayment later. He is settling down quite well and starting to slowly find his way round Uni life.

Good luck in your journey and I hope you can sort out some or all of the problems you are facing. But please remember you need to open up and start talking and let people know how you feel and what you need to enable them to help.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.