Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    This year I was hoping to start a Foundation Paramedic Science degree that lasts two years. I already have a bachelors degree (which is a ordinary degree in sport science) which student finance had funded for me, I was told that they will also fund a foundation year by people who were on my course at the time, so I applied for additional funding from them. A few weeks after filling everything out, my application had its status as approved. I rang up SF and they told me that funding won't start until the university confirms that I have been attending. My course starts this week and when I finally checked SF website again it has suddenly told me that I am not able to get any funding what so ever, no tuition or maintenance loan. It wouldn't have bothered me as much if they would have mentioned this a few weeks earlier when I could have found a way around it, but I have already gone down to the university and enrolled and discussed accommodation in the future. With the course starting this week I there anything I can do, or is this the end of the road for me?
    Many thanks.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Apply for private loans, search private student loans on Google.

Good luck
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Jn3aes)
    Hey guys,
    This year I was hoping to start a Foundation Paramedic Science degree that lasts two years. I already have a bachelors degree (which is a ordinary degree in sport science) which student finance had funded for me, I was told that they will also fund a foundation year by people who were on my course at the time, so I applied for additional funding from them. A few weeks after filling everything out, my application had its status as approved. I rang up SF and they told me that funding won't start until the university confirms that I have been attending. My course starts this week and when I finally checked SF website again it has suddenly told me that I am not able to get any funding what so ever, no tuition or maintenance loan. It wouldn't have bothered me as much if they would have mentioned this a few weeks earlier when I could have found a way around it, but I have already gone down to the university and enrolled and discussed accommodation in the future. With the course starting this week I there anything I can do, or is this the end of the road for me?
    Many thanks.
    Which people told you at the time? Classmates or the uni?

As you will know bursaires have been scrapped in 2017 and responsibility has moved to sfe. That said it is vert patchy for paramedics and im not entirely clear of the situation.

The reasons why is paramedics dont appear to be included in the health related professions for the SFE changes.

I believe its still the NHS through the local ambulance trusts who decide on funding. Your uni should have told you this..They decide who many bursaries they are willing to fund, so of you dont have one or havent applied, then you will have to fund yourself.

You need to speak to people who know more.

1. Your uni and course organisers. look on the web page about funding.
    2. SFE but make it clear which uni it is. It may be available at one uni , but not in others because it is down to the local ambulance trust.
    3. College of paramedics
    https://www.collegeofparamedics.co.uk/about_us/co
    https://www.collegeofparamedics.co.u...bulance_trusts
    ntact_us

4. NHS health careers
    https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/contact-us
    https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/i-a...ort-university

Cant get any further than that. I found last time a list of which trust funded what, but cant seem to locate it this time. Chase it up someone should know.

I would be wary of taking a loans. If some trusts do finance it, then reapply to one of those next year imo.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.