Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Name dropping in personal statement [hospitals, carehomes etc] Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi.

I was wondering if it is necessary to name the places you've been to specifically in your personal statement rather than just call it "a hospital" or "a carehome" because I was told by one of my teachers that name dropping adds context and makes it seem like you actually went.
    However, I was also told by someone else that it is simply unnecessary and just takes up characters because frankly, universities don't care where you went regardless of how famous it is as long as you can reflect on it etc.

Could someone with experience please clarify this?

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    bump
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by t10r)
    Hi.

I was wondering if it is necessary to name the places you've been to specifically in your personal statement rather than just call it "a hospital" or "a carehome" because I was told by one of my teachers that name dropping adds context and makes it seem like you actually went.
    However, I was also told by someone else that it is simply unnecessary and just takes up characters because frankly, universities don't care where you went regardless of how famous it is as long as you can reflect on it etc.

Could someone with experience please clarify this?

Thank you.
    Don't mention specific places. You don't want to risk breaching confidentiality and it also takes up space without adding anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    Don't mention specific places. You don't want to risk breaching confidentiality and it also takes up space without adding anything.
    Right, thank you.

Any other opinions on this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by t10r)
    Right, thank you.

Any other opinions on this?
    Pretty much what Forest Cat said. When you sign up to work in these places a big thing you're meant to stick to is confidentiality. Mentioning any names in your medical school PS isn't the best way to go. Plus it does take up valuable space.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Volibear)
    Pretty much what Forest Cat said. When you sign up to work in these places a big thing you're meant to stick to is confidentiality. Mentioning any names in your medical school PS isn't the best way to go. Plus it does take up valuable space.
    Right. But I didn't sign up to work in these places. I did work shadowing at a hospital and I volunteer at a care home so there was no signing of contracts or anything like that. Does your concept still apply?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by t10r)
    Right. But I didn't sign up to work in these places. I did work shadowing at a hospital and I volunteer at a care home so there was no signing of contracts or anything like that. Does your concept still apply?
    By work I also mean volunteering. It's really up to you but it is a waste of space (literally).

ReputationRep:
    By work I also mean volunteering. It's really up to you but it is a waste of space (literally).

it's is necessary /relevant to state how long you have been volunteering? like state how frequently you volunteer, or is it just a waste of valuable space??

thanks

ReputationRep:
    No, "a secondary care hospital" or whatever will do quite nicely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by t10r)
    Yep. The only relevant bit to giving the name is that it shows where you are geographically IMO.

(Original post by TracyEmu)
    it's is necessary /relevant to state how long you have been volunteering? like state how frequently you volunteer, or is it just a waste of valuable space??

thanks
    Not particularly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QuentinM)
    Not particularly
    so I should state how long I have been volunteering since its not a waste of space?? is that what you mean?

ReputationRep:
    so I should state how long I have been volunteering since its not a waste of space?? is that what you mean?
    Sorry, don't mention it. What you learn from your experience is far more valuable

ReputationRep:

thanks
    No. If a medical school cares about how much you've done they'll ask for hours and references separately. If you really want to show it was long term you can manipulate you writing to make it sound like it was. Otherwise, it's what you've learnt that is much more important.

ReputationRep:
    No. If a medical school cares about how much you've done they'll ask for hours and references separately. If you really want to show it was long term you can manipulate you writing to make it sound like it was. Otherwise, it's what you've learnt that is much more important.
    (Original post by QuentinM)
    Sorry, don't mention it. What you learn from your experience is far more valuable
    Thanks so much for the feedback!!! I'll take it on board!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by t10r)
    Yes the concept of confidentiality definitely still applies.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the others that you don't have enough characters to waste on trivial details. If you want to add context, use descriptive terms ("a large London teaching hospital", "a small community hospital", or "a residential home in an underprivileged area", etc) instead of place names.

ReputationRep:
    Name-dropping is generally a bad idea. If a university need to know specific details, they'll ask around; otherwise its a waste of words and it won't impress anybody.

ReputationRep:
    I was told to include location although not name as this gives a bit more evidence to the person reading it that it is acc true

ReputationRep:
    It's just not that serious...

ReputationRep:
    i don't see a problem with it. just the other day, leonardo dicaprio was telling me about how its so competitive now that you need just about anything that you can use to boost your personal brand.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.