Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Happy with your first (given) name or not? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesH2017)
    Parents have complete authority over naming their children and registering those names legally.

'Given' names stay with a child unless the child becomes of an age to legally change it and does...

So, have you changed your name or know someone who has?

This could turn out to be a very interesting thread or it might just bomb...

(I changed mine earlier this year )
    No I am not happy with my first given name. I'm not going to state it here for anonymity reasons but I have a name set in mind of what I would like to change it to, which I will when the time is right.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    Went with my middle name for some years
    Considering getting a Japanese name for my year abroad.

I do want to change my surname at some point though. I want to work in academia when I'm older and "Dr [my surname]" is a mouthful as it's hyphenated (6 syllabus in total).
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Happy with my name.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a little sad that the athlete I shared a first name with is now well known as a drugs cheat...

ReputationRep:
    Somewhat.

I come from a country where my actual legal full name is only just one name,no first name or last names. Our names are around 2 to 4 words/syllables but it is all just considered 1.

This is a pain for me whenever I sign up. I have to use my English nickname and the first word from my name, because I assume that's also the last name for people who have last names.

Other than that my name is considered "normal" in my home country but it is pretty unique everywhere else.

(Original post by superrichkids)
    No I am not happy with my first given name. I'm not going to state it here for anonymity reasons but I have a name set in mind of what I would like to change it to, which I will when the time is right.
    You are the personification of the word tease.

ReputationRep:
    My name doesn't really bother me tbh... I'm more bothered about everyone else's lack of attention when it comes to my name in all honesty...

The amount of times I've been called Adam, Aiden or Ian easily rivals the amount of times I've been called by my actual name.

Then my surname... It's a long surname, but isn't complicated at all. yet, if someone needs to write my surname down, 9/10 times, they'll just freeze up and ask me how to spell it.

I'd post my names, though I suppose you could figure out my first name, but anon posting is disabled in here so...

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.