Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Low UKCAT Score, Good GCSEs, International Student - Which Uni's? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello, could you help me as to which Universities might be appropriate for an international applicant who has completed the GCSEs in the UK, with 11A*s (subjects include Triple Science, Maths, English Language, English Literature, French, German, RE, Geography and Art) and has got an average score of 630 on the UKCAT, with VR: 570, DM: 660, QR: 740, and AR: 550, and with a Band 2 in SJ.

I presume due to some lags, my IB Predicted scores will be very low, in the order of 35/36, maybe even less, depending on how my subject teacher views me. Would my GCSEs be able to compensate for this? I take 7 Subjects, with English Literature HL, Physics HL, Chemistry HL and Biology HL, and Maths SL, Psychology SL and French B SL.

I'd like to think I have ample experience in terms of Medicine and Service and I also think I can translate that into a solid Personal Statement draiwing on what I have learnt and so forth, hence would like to know if that would make a difference in the Universities that I could apply for.

I also have 'four weeks' of relevant work experience, from NHNN in London, where I shadowed the Neuroradiology Team, a top hospital in an Indian Metropolitan City where I was in the Operation Theatres and observed different surgeries for a period of two weeks, and another Indian Metropolitan city hospital for 5 days where I shadowed a Consultant Orthopedics and several Consultant Neurologists. I teach children English at a School in the Indian City, and while I was in the UK, I was involved in many charitable activities, namely Citizens UK (a pressure group, where I worked to improve Care Provisions) and *****(a catholic charity).

ReputationRep:
    What's concerning here is the predicted score, if you can convince your teachers to predict higher, then it will be better. Check that you have at least (7,6,6 HL). Also, why do you take 7 subjects and still only have 35/36?? Your situation is quite weird I would say. Is it not possible to drop one subject? If I disregard your predicted, I would have suggested Cardiff, Leicester, Queens Belfast and Birmingham. If you believe in your personal statement, perhaps Bristol and Keele. You should check the entry requirements though before applying or you will get a rejection pre-interview.

ReputationRep:
    Also, here is a link for further reading:
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wik...your_Strengths
    Avoid Newcastle, Durham, King's College, Queen Mary and Southampton.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcaneMists)
    What's concerning here is the predicted score, if you can convince your teachers to predict higher, then it will be better. Check that you have at least (7,6,6 HL). Also, why do you take 7 subjects and still only have 35/36?? Your situation is quite weird I would say. Is it not possible to drop one subject? If I disregard your predicted, I would have suggested Cardiff, Leicester, Queens Belfast and Birmingham. If you believe in your personal statement, perhaps Bristol and Keele. You should check the entry requirements though before applying or you will get a rejection pre-interview.
    The predicted grades would be exclusive of the seventh subject,which would be Physics HL, which I have taken to satisfy my application to Indian Medical Universities. Hence, the 35/36 would be only for the 6 Subjects exclusive of Physics HL. I am still unsure if I want to do Medicine in the UK, due to finances and the high requirements for an Overseas Student. I would also be taking the BMAT, so which Universities do you possibly suggest as my choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMasterofLife)
    The predicted grades would be exclusive of the seventh subject,which would be Physics HL, which I have taken to satisfy my application to Indian Medical Universities. Hence, the 35/36 would be only for the 6 Subjects exclusive of Physics HL. I am still unsure if I want to do Medicine in the UK, due to finances and the high requirements for an Overseas Student. I would also be taking the BMAT, so which Universities do you possibly suggest as my choice.
    Gave you some ideas above, check it out. Perhaps go for UCL, Imperial or Leeds, if you're confident of a good bmat score. Check out the requirements first though. Perhaps consider birmingham as well, as their cutoff is low for international students. You will be able to find that on their website entry requirements.

ReputationRep:
    Help, anyone else too please!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcaneMists)
    Gave you some ideas above, check it out. Perhaps go for UCL, Imperial or Leeds, if you're confident of a good bmat score. Check out the requirements first though. Perhaps consider birmingham as well, as their cutoff is low for international students. You will be able to find that on their website entry requirements.
    His predicted is too low for UCL and Imperial (lower than requirement)

(Original post by TheMasterofLife)
    Help, anyone else too please!

How do you get 11 A* but only 35/36 predicted? just curious, also what are your HL predictions?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I linked below an article made by Medic Portal that has a list of unis that are suitable for applicants who think they have a low UKCAT score.

If none of those appeal to you, you can always apply to BMAT unis.

Hope this helps!

https://www.themedicportal.com/medic...w-ukcat-score/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.