The Student Room Group

Mom calls me ugly and stupid.

hello!
My mom calls me and ugly and stupid .(even though I have stellar grades)
(I do love my mom with all my heart)
Because I play soccer and lacrosse, I sweat a lot. That usually causes me to breakout ;c. Every time I get a small patch of pimples on my face, my mom says i'm "ugly and that boys will just think of you as ugly because of your appearance and never want to get to know you". Also, she calls me an idiot every time I make a mistake.Most of the time she will pull my hair and hit me(even when I was little). One time I got a bad grade on a homework assignment, and my mom pinned my to a corner of the room and called me an idiot. I was only 9 at the time yet It always pops back into my mind(every time I think of this I get a throbbing sensation in my chest). I get jealous of my friends who have the "best friend" status with their mom. My mom even told me "Im not your friend". 65% of the time my mom talks to me, she just ends up belittling and yelling at me and I get very saddened by that. Sometimes I wonder if this women is even my mom. My mom always tells her friends to not give two shits on other peoples' opinion on you yet my mom makes me feel like wasted space.

15%good job
40%your so stupid
30% your weird
5%love you
10% 5 min rant on why i'm ugly and stupid

Im sorry about this rant and if i'm overreacting. I just have been feeling alone and empty these past few weeks. Even when imm surrounded by my friends I still feel alone. Im happy yet sad.

PS my mom acts the same way to my brother as she does me. However my younger sister is treated like royalty. (But even my mom calls my younger sister fat)

Scroll to see replies

hi,

I think your mom suffered when she was a little kid, maybe her mom treated her the same way she is treating you right now and your brothers.

I think you should talk to her, it´s not fair what she´s doing, like a mom her job is to inspire you, motivate you and tell you how much she loves you. You don´t deserve to bre treated like that, obviously your´re not an indiot and you´re not ugly!!

So I think you should talk to her and if you don´t want to do that, then talk to a teacher, someone you truste but it has to be an adult so they can help you!! You have to tell them how you feel, do it for you and your brothers!

You´re not alone! You can do this!

Good Luck!!
Once upon a time words was just just noise. I say you just get rich as **** and make her eat her words when you pull up in a pink Lamborghini
Reply 3
Original post by T_stegs
hello!
Because I play soccer and lacrosse, I sweat a lot. That usually causes me to breakout ;c. Every time I get a small patch of pimples on my face, my mom says i'm "ugly and that boys will just think of you as ugly because of your appearance and never want to get to know you". Also, she calls me an idiot every time I make a mistake.Most of the time she will pull my hair and hit me(even when I was little). One time I got a bad grade on a homework assignment, and my mom pinned my to a corner of the room and called me an idiot. I was only 9 at the time yet It always pops back into my mind(every time I think of this I get a throbbing sensation in my chest). I get jealous of my friends who have the "best friend" status with their mom. My mom even told me "Im not your friend". 65% of the time my mom talks to me, she just ends up belittling and yelling at me and I get very saddened by that. Sometimes I wonder if this women is even my mom. My mom always tells her friends to not give two shits on other peoples' opinion on you yet my mom makes me feel like wasted space.

15%good job
40%your so stupid
30% your weird
5%love you

Im sorry about this rant and if i'm overreacting. I just have been feeling alone and empty these past few weeks. Even when imm surrounded by my friends I still feel alone. Im happy yet sad.

PS my mom acts the same way to my brother as she does me. However my younger sister is treated like royalty. (But even my mom calls my younger sister fat)

i had a friend going through this, she told her mum and she cried to her and confessed all her feelings without being embarrassed, and now her mum and her are the closest! you should try this...trust me
Yes, I agree with Anonymous #1. I think you're mom is parenting most likely in the way she was parented. Heartbreaking for both of you. If you have the means at all to go speak to a professional counselor about this I suggest you do. How old are you? It is possible that your mom is saying "your not my friend" because some parents believe (and are taught) there needs to be a healthy distance that breeds respect between parent and child. Usually as the child grows older the friendship aspect of the relationship can get better established.
There is no excuse, however, for the mean things she has said and certainly not okay to hit and pull hair! That fact that you can still say "I love my mother with all my heart" (and I believe you do) shows the strong bond between mother and child and most every child really wants his/her mom to express her love for the child. It is innate.
If you are over the age of 18 I suggest you #1 talk to a professional counselor and #2 if you can't talk to a counselor then when you are having a calm non-emotional time you can bring up your feelings to your mom. Make sure you include how much you love her and appreciate what she has done for you.
If you are under 18 you can try to have a calm conversation with her but she is more likely to see you as a child - even though what you are saying is right and she shouldn't treat you or your brother like that.
I wonder if there is not some type of cultural influence as well and the area where she was brought up is different than the lifestyle you live today.
In her mind she thinks she is trying to "help" you by letting you know about your break-outs and what you 'should' be doing to fix that.... She may call you an idiot because in her mind that will 'get your attention' and really make you pay attention next time to your grades (or whatever). I say this if there is a cultural difference.
But.... if your upbringing is not noticeably different than hers..... if she, herself, is a partier, prone to getting drunk/high, prone to staying out late with friends etc., then that presents with a whole different scenario.
Again, please seek professional counseling if at all possible!!
The good news is..... you are very much aware of how this makes you and your brother feel. You can work to 'break the cycle' when you have your own children and try to be the type of mom all children deserve. Best of Luck to you.
I know what you’re going through. My mom treats me the same way! Whenever I feel like I want to cry my mom always says to “stop being an actor”! She always guesses my feelings and they’re mostly wrong. She says things that make me feel like I’m worthless in every way.She hates my drawings and one time compared one of my best drawings to a toddlers! I was so proud of that drawing... But I didn’t say anything besides I might hurt her feelings.She often compared me to my uncle. He had a disability because he took drugs when he was young. He said that he worthless and useless. She said that he had no use in life just like me...I went to a counselor and she said that I had MDD (Major Deppresive Disorder). My mom says that I didn’t have depression and that I was acting it out.I always feel like I don’t have a voice in my household... One time my mom says to speak up and the next she tells me shut up. It’s confusing... I’m thinking about committing suicide but I still want to prove my mom that I’m still useful... I wished she’d just say she’d love me once in a while...
Original post by T_stegs
hello!

15%good job
40%your so stupid
30% your weird
5%love you

Best thing is to consider calling childline, get the **** outta der and go get adopted with loving parents...or sit down with her and ask her why does she treat you like this - probs because her mum did the same to her XD
I used to question if it was normal for mothers to call their daughters stupid until I saw just how close my friend was with her mom. She literally could tell her mom EVERYTHING. I have no one to talk to, which is probably why I'm writing this. My mom would straight up call me a
Some parents can be very hard. Maybe she is just unhappy and had unhappy life experiences.

As another said, maybe she was mistreated as a kid. Sometimes when people are unhappy or have problems in their lives they vent it out, get angry. If they have resentment based on other things, they will get angry from time to time.
(edited 5 years ago)
Mums can say extremely hurtful things that you may even be insecure about or struggling with but try not to take it to heart. And don’t let it tear down your confidence.
Original post by T_stegs

15%good job
40%your so stupid
30% your weird
5%love you

still better than my folks/10

did they hit you, kick u out, steal, and starve you too? :h:
Original post by Bang Outta Order
still better than my folks/10

did they hit you, kick u out, steal, and starve you too? :h:

:frown::frown:
Are you serious
Original post by T_stegs
hello!

15%good job
40%your so stupid
30% your weird
5%love you

even though you shouldnt be treated like this i think you should count yourself lucky. i get beaten everyday. i think that you should just be grateful for your mum and grow thick skin. you may be jealous of your friends but im jealous of you tbh.
Original post by mtawafi
:frown::frown:
Are you serious

ye
Original post by T_stegs
hello!
ALLLLVIINNNNNNNNNN!!!!

DAve
Original post by T_stegs
hello!

15%good job
40%your so stupid
30% your weird
5%love you

Tiger parent?

And also your mother is systematically emotionally and physically abusing you. Ask her why she says these things and then tell her it doesn't help. If she doesn't stop tell her to f*ck off and start cooking your own food, making your own bed etc. You might have to live under the same roof, but you don't have to interact with her.
Develop some thick skin and take it like a champion, OP.

Your mum calls you ugly, just say "Yeah, I guess your right, but eh? Whether I'm ugly or not is subjective anyway".
Original post by dunnolamo
even though you shouldnt be treated like this i think you should count yourself lucky. i get beaten everyday. i think that you should just be grateful for your mum and grow thick skin. you may be jealous of your friends but im jealous of you tbh.

the fact that you have to live with daily physical abuse is horrible, but please don't let your situation stop other people from improving their own situation, even if they do have it better.

the whole reason so many people don't report or think badly about abuse they went through is because they could've had it worse - "o could've been starved, at least i had a roof over my head, at least i was only hit with blunt objects and not stabbed or burned", etc. some people may be jealous of you.
move out when you can, get a good job and get therapy when you can afford it, your mum won't change unless she wants to
It sounds to me as if your mother is more than a little jealouse of your acheivements in sport and academicaly. Don't let her tantrums afect you otherwise you would be letting her do you some seriouse harm :- "like a heart attack'." Be strong and shrug her comments off as you would rain-drops'.