The Student Room Group

What does it mean to link to a question ?

What does it mean to link to your question at the end of a paragraph in English or in history ?
Original post by Wildnatxox
What does it mean to link to your question at the end of a paragraph in English or in history ?

The #1 rule is to answer the question being asked.

that means each paragraph must advance or support your essay answer in respect of the question you are responding to. By linking you are showing the reader why it is relevant.

Added edit.
https://www.oxford-royale.co.uk/articles/how-to-answer-essay-questions.html

If you want to get really clumsy and obvious then you can put signposts in which says this is relevant because or this answers the question or this proves or supports or is a reason etc. Go back to your teacher and id this is what they mean, then rewrite the essay. You will never get good grades unless you answer the question they ask.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by 999tigger
The #1 rule is to answer the question being asked.

that means each paragraph must advance or support your essay answer in respect of the question you are responding to. By linking you are showing the reader why it is relevant.

I think they meant how they do this
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne
I think they meant how they do this

Isnt that blatantly obvious? By referring to its relevance to the question being asked? Its the whole point of writing an essay. the feedback seems to be they arent answering the question, which is the #1 sin of essay writing. Its either relevant or it is no. A person who doesnt do that is wasting time being irrelevant and talking off topic.
Isnt that blatantly obvious? By referring to its relevance to the question being asked? Its the whole point of writing an essay. the feedback seems to be they arent answering the question, which is the #1 sin of essay writing. Its either relevant or it is no. A person who doesnt do that is wasting time being irrelevant and talking off topic.

...it probably doesn't hurt to give an example - I don't think it's as obvious as you claim it is, especially how to do it succinctly.

We will see what the OP has to say, but I hope I have saved them some time
...it probably doesn't hurt to give an example - I don't think it's as obvious as you claim it is, especially how to do it succinctly.

We will see what the OP has to say, but I hope I have saved them some time

Why have you saved them some time?
Why have you saved them some time?

Sorry, I will have*

I asked a question to you that I imagine they would also have come back to ask (again, which I think was their original question) - at the moment I have not saved them any time as you didn't give an example.
Sorry, I will have*

I asked a question to you that I imagine they would also have come back to ask (again, which I think was their original question) - at the moment I have not saved them any time as you didn't give an example.

Still not seeing it. If they answer the question and remain relevant then that is the most effective linking technique. If my feedback was the same as the OP received, then I would have felt I was failing to do as I suggested in #2. If either you or the Op wants to provide further details to help identify where the issue is, then please do so.
Still not seeing it. If they answer the question and remain relevant then that is the most effective linking technique. If my feedback was the same as the OP received, then I would have felt I was failing to do as I suggested in #2. If either you or the Op wants to provide further details to help identify where the issue is, then please do so.

Fair enough, I do not know much about it, but I kind of thought the challenge would've been exactly how to link it, for example (assuming you have written something relevant that answers the question) is there anything you have to say at the start of the paragraph, or the end, or both? And can you make it so that it doesn't sound repetitive in each paragraph?

You edited your first reply, the kind of thing you wrote in the new paragraph is what I felt was missing when I first posted; but I will step back and let the OP provide feedback if required
Fair enough, I do not know much about it, but I kind of thought the challenge would've been exactly how to link it, for example (assuming you have written something relevant that answers the question) is there anything you have to say at the start of the paragraph, or the end, or both? And can you make it so that it doesn't sound repetitive in each paragraph?

You edited your first reply, the kind of thing you wrote in the new paragraph is what I felt was missing when I first posted; but I will step back and let the OP provide feedback if required

Without further details then its unclear what the exact problem is. My hunch would be an inability to be relevant and answer the question. If you do that then the idea of linking goes on in the background, because the whole essay is focused on answering the question i.e it solves itself.

Using a technique to remind the reader why the paragraph can be quite clumsy and wasteful. they just need to plan and then keep asking themselves how is this answering the question and state how it supports the argument.

I would guess their problem all goes back to not answering the question clearly. hard to say without further detail the fact they have asked for English and History would indicate this is a general issue and one they need to address if they wish to improve.

Will wait and see if the op bothers to come back.

ps Made my edit clear

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending