Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can you apply to universities whilst studying at uni already? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have just started my first year at a university and fear my choice may be a mistake. Could I possibly apply through UCAS as I continue studying here?

I want to apply to slightly different course in a different atmosphere that I now know suits me better.

Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    I am in the same kind of predicament. Just started also at University to study BA Media Communications but after the first 3 days I think this course may not be for me. I actually dropped out the first time 2 years ago on another course that I made a mistake of choosing due to pressure and not being ready. For the nearly 2 years I havent done anything productive and coming straight back to University, I'm feeling more dumber than I used to be.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jxet)
    I'm feeling more dumber than I used to be.
    Hmmm I really wonder why...
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackmolineux)
    I have just started my first year at a university and fear my choice may be a mistake. Could I possibly apply through UCAS as I continue studying here?

I want to apply to slightly different course in a different atmosphere that I now know suits me better.

Any advice?
    There are a few unis and subjects that don't like this, but in general it's fine. However, you are in the difficult personal position of needing to commit fully to the UCAS application so that it's the best it can be, whilst also needing to give your full commitment to your current degree in case the new one doesn't work out. This can be difficult to balance.

You'll need to apply again through UCAS. You'll need a new personal statement - you can reuse the old one if you wish, but may want to update it to reflect that you're a year older and more mature now. You'll need a reference, which will probably come from your previous school/college. And you need to include the current uni in the education section of the UCAS form.

(Original post by jxet)
    I am in the same kind of predicament. Just started also at University to study BA Media Communications but after the first 3 days I think this course may not be for me. I actually dropped out the first time 2 years ago on another course that I made a mistake of choosing due to pressure and not being ready. For the nearly 2 years I havent done anything productive and coming straight back to University, I'm feeling more dumber than I used to be.
    No, you are in a worse predicament. You are only allowed one false start in terms of student finance, so if you drop out now you would not have funding for the first year of a new degree. You may be able to complete your first year at this uni and transfer to a similar course at a different uni, or you may be able to transfer to a different course at the same uni now and catch up the few weeks that you've missed. But you cannot drop out and expect to start a new degree unless you are able to fund the first year yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    There are a few unis and subjects that don't like this, but in general it's fine. However, you are in the difficult personal position of needing to commit fully to the UCAS application so that it's the best it can be, whilst also needing to give your full commitment to your current degree in case the new one doesn't work out. This can be difficult to balance.

You'll need to apply again through UCAS. You'll need a new personal statement - you can reuse the old one if you wish, but may want to update it to reflect that you're a year older and more mature now. You'll need a reference, which will probably come from your previous school/college. And you need to include the current uni in the education section of the UCAS form.
    Thank you for your reply.
    Do St Andrews and Oxford allow this?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your reply.
    Do St Andrews and Oxford allow this?
    Oxford don't accept transfers and discourage applications from people at university elsewhere.

St Andrews do but ask for supplementary information if you're applying from another university https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/study/ug/apply/transfer/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Oxford don't accept transfers and discourage applications from people at university elsewhere.

St Andrews do but ask for supplementary information if you're applying from another university https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/study/ug/apply/transfer/
    Thank you for the above. I would be most likely looking to start from year 1.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    https://uni-of-oxford.custhelp.com/a...lTZWt1bg%3D%3D

From Oxford - because of the requirement for a reference from your current course and high grades the implication is that they recommend that you apply after COMPLETING year 1 elsewhere (either while on a gap year or while studying for year 2 if you can afford the fees for an unfunded first year at Oxford).
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the above. I would be most likely looking to start from year 1.
    A transfer is a transfer - the St Andrews page applies whether you're applying for year 1 (which would be unlikely if you've got the grades to start at Oxford) or a later year.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.