Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello

On word, when my paragraphs have a gap between them it counts the gap as one line so when I put it as one big chunk of text it has less lines. On UCAS does it count the gaps between paras as lines and if so can I just not have gaps or do I need them? Obviously I would much rather individual paras but not at that cost.
    Thank u!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Yes it does, so just remove the gaps.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puppo)
    Hello

On word, when my paragraphs have a gap between them it counts the gap as one line so when I put it as one big chunk of text it has less lines. On UCAS does it count the gaps between paras as lines and if so can I just not have gaps or do I need them? Obviously I would much rather individual paras but not at that cost.
    Thank u!
    Having gaps (or paras) makes the statement easier to read. It's better to have less stuff and make your reader's life easier than not have gaps and annoy your reader

(Original post by shameful_burrito)
    Yes it does, so just remove the gaps.
    Maybe leave the PS advice to the advisors?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    Having gaps (or paras) makes the statement easier to read. It's better to have less stuff and make your reader's life easier than not have gaps and annoy your reader

Maybe leave the PS advice to the advisors?
    you can't say paragraphs > content. at the end of the day, they want to know you and your grades.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    you can't say paragraphs > content. at the end of the day, they want to know you and your grades.
    Your grades are already on your application so putting them in wastes space. They're not really interested in you personally as a friend but your academic interests in the subject and why you want to study it. But no one is going to want to read a wall of text. Structuring your work well and saying what you have to in the space available which is also laid out well is a key academic skill. We can go round about this for ages but trust me I've been looking at PSs, essays etc for a long time so I think I know what I'm talking about
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Your grades are already on your application so putting them in wastes space. They're not really interested in you personally as a friend but your academic interests in the subject and why you want to study it. But no one is going to want to read a wall of text. Structuring your work well and saying what you have to in the space available which is also laid out well is a key academic skill. We can go round about this for ages but trust me I've been looking at PSs, essays etc for a long time so I think I know what I'm talking about
    it really is subjective. it might annoy you, but others will consider the application fairly. Given that the extra information they give add value and is relevant then losing one of those paragraph lines really doesn't matter.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    it really is subjective. it might annoy you, but others will consider the application fairly. Given that the extra information they give add value and is relevant then losing one of those paragraph lines really doesn't matter.
    No hun I'm sorry. This is not about me personally but years of collective experience and training. Sorry!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    No hun I'm sorry. This is not about me personally but years of collective experience and training. Sorry!
    you don't represent the whole admission team sweety
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    you don't represent the whole admission team sweety
    I'm not saying I do and hence the term 'collective'. This isn't about me personally as I said above. But not going to go round in circles any more. Admissions officers get training, share best practice and pass on info to people who work in this field plus we have years of experience in looking at these things. Whether the applicant takes the advice in board or not is up to them. Good luck!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    You can.

Admissions staff are trawling through many many PSs every day. Prioritising content in order to produce a well structured and easy to read PS means that IMPORTANT content wont be missed because of sloppy formatting.

I've never seen a PS that couldn't benefit from being shortened and tightened up. The whole exercise is about conveying the important content well within the available space. Cramming in more content at the expense of readability isn't beneficial - it just increases the risk of the important bits being missed.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you everyone - I've decided to keep separate paragraphs and trim it down
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puppo)
    Thank you everyone - I've decided to keep separate paragraphs and trim it down
    Good decision.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.