Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Universal Credit should be scrapped! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I believe that Universal Credit should be scrapped! It is a benefit that covers six others into a monthly payment.

Coming from experience it is a nightmare and costing taxpayers millions of pounds for a failed system!

In January 2015, I was unfairly sacked from my job at RBS but because it was temp ongoing and agency, I couldn't take action against them. Anyway I thought I would claim JSA just to keep me going until got something else only to learn that it is now Universal Credit! Had to fill form in online waiting for a response to say they didn't get it, had to do it again and wait for an interview at jobcentre to process the claim with one person to then be passed to the advisor you'll be seeing and spend an hour with them telling you how amazing it is and how well it works.

I then had to wait 8 weeks without any money for claim to go through and had to rely on the last of my wages which was very little, ended up getting in rent arrears and got notice of posession from council, luckily i managed to find a summer temp job so everything I got from that went to pay off rent arrears.

Universal Credit is pushing people into poverty, debt, rent arrears, evictions, homelessness and suicides.

It needs and should be scrapped. Also staff at Jobcentres treat you like dirt, look and talk down at you, don't try and help you in anyway, the jobcentres no longer have freephones or job points to print off jobs, advisors don't sit and search for jobs, just expect you to find work and even in work constantly get more hours.

ReputationRep:
    fair enough.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I have t admit, I'm dreading moving over. There's nothing wrong with the current system. Why change it? People are left without money for 6 weeks. Yes, they can ask for advance payment. But that gets taken out of your next payment.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, yep!

UC started officially in 2013.

In 2013 homelessness among citizens peaked to over 300% in just one British city, I believe portsmouth, so imagine the entire nation. And it's not going down in reality and probably not even statistically. Since I live in reality I don't need to parrot the stats.

Anyway it's not a coincidence that more and more people are becoming unintentionally homeless after UC...

I could be here all day discussing this but...you know already. I'm sorry, it's dreadful. It's a shame.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bang Outta Order)
    Yep, yep!

UC started officially in 2013.

In 2013 homelessness among citizens peaked to over 300% in just one British city, I believe portsmouth, so imagine the entire nation. And it's not going down in reality and probably not even statistically. Since I live in reality I don't need to parrot the stats.

Anyway it's not a coincidence that more and more people are becoming unintentionally homeless after UC...

I could be here all day discussing this but...you know already. I'm sorry, it's dreadful. It's a shame.
    I've yet to come across anyone apart from politicians who says it's working. Receiving money every 2 weeks for me, is fine. As is (this was my choice, rather than it being forced) my rent going straight to my landlord. Under UC, I'll get a months' payment at once, including my rent.

It was bad enough waiting 3 weeks or so for ESA to sort themselves out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    I've yet to come across anyone apart from politicians who says it's working. Receiving money every 2 weeks for me, is fine. As is (this was my choice, rather than it being forced) my rent going straight to my landlord. Under UC, I'll get a months' payment at once, including my rent.

It was bad enough waiting 3 weeks or so for ESA to sort themselves out.
    Hopefully you’ll be ok but I have to say, you only waited three weeks for esa???!!
    Lucky you 😜
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammylou40)
    Hopefully you’ll be ok but I have to say, you only waited three weeks for esa???!!
    Lucky you 😜
    It was something like that. But it took them about 4 months or so to look at my claim and assess me. (and about 10 days from when I started my claim to send me the bloody form)

ReputationRep:
    It was something like that. But it took them about 4 months or so to look at my claim and assess me. (and about 10 days from when I started my claim to send me the bloody form)
    that’s more like it! About six months from start to finish
    I really think they hope you’ve had a miraculous cure or preferably died before they sort the claim

ReputationRep:
    I have t admit, I'm dreading moving over. There's nothing wrong with the current system. Why change it?
    To force people off benefits and into zero hour contract 'work' (whether you are disabled or not), unemployment figures go down.

Protecting the sick and disabled is something that should be done in any civilised society. The Tories don't give a ****. There will be suicides.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.