Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in the second year of my bachelors degree at a univeristy in the Netherlands, I am a UK national. I am receiving a student loan from the Dutch government, which cover all my tuition costs. I was wandering whether it would be possible to get a UK student loan for a postgraduate degre after I have completed my studies in NL, or in the case that I stopped my studies now and started another undergraduate degree in the UK instead? I know that once you've received your funding for your first degree in the UK, the next one is on you in terms of financing. However, if you haven't taken out a loan with UK student finance, does that rule still apply?

Thanks y'all
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi LowBathWater

Just need to ask you a few question for the postgraduate study are you going to be studying in the UK? and how long did you study previously for the undergraduate course?

Thanks Miriam

ReputationRep:
    I am considering studying in the UK yes. I am currently in my 4th semester out of 6, in my undergrad. I will graduate in December 2018 after three years of study. I am considering two routes:

-one involves me completing my current degree, and then commencing a postgraduate degree in the UK.
    -the other involves me quitting my current degree and starting a new one in the UK. I am considering this because I really don't like my current degree and I know I would do really well studying CS.

My question, more specifically then, is whether in either of those cases I would be ellegible to receive tuition funding from the UK government?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by LowBathWater)
    I am considering studying in the UK yes. I am currently in my 4th semester out of 6, in my undergrad. I will graduate in December 2018 after three years of study. I am considering two routes:

-one involves me completing my current degree, and then commencing a postgraduate degree in the UK.
    -the other involves me quitting my current degree and starting a new one in the UK. I am considering this because I really don't like my current degree and I know I would do really well studying CS.

My question, more specifically then, is whether in either of those cases I would be ellegible to receive tuition funding from the UK government?

Hi LowBathWater,

On the information you have provided and as long as you meet the residency requirements I have outlined the support that may be available.

If you withdraw from your current full time course and start a new full time undergraduate course, from year one, your previous study will be used in calculating your entitlement.

The way this is calculated is we look at the length of your new course, then we add an additional year of support, then from this figure we deduct the number of years previous study you have undertaken, whether at home or abroad.

Full Funding for remaining entitled years.

For any years Previous Study effects you will be eligible for a Means Tested Maintenance Loan and Supplementary Grants only.

Any years funding available will be applied to the final years of the course.

If you complete your degree and then want to undertake a Masters course in the UK

PGL is available to SFE domiciled students studying anywhere in the UK and EU students studying in England. To be eligible:

• SFE domiciled students must be ordinarily resident in the UK for the 1st day of the 1st Academic Year
    • EU students must be resident in England for the 1st day of the 1st year of the course

All students must be resident in the UK / EU for 3 years prior to the start of the Academic Year (AY).

Find more information and how to apply

http://bit.ly/28XNE4r

Thanks Rona

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.