Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

not declared disability, given more suitable role anyway? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Applied for a job and finally got one working in a restaurant, 10 hours a week. Thing is, when I did the training shift I was mostly serving customers, doing dishes etc but I've been assigned to do the till which involves making sure the money matches up etc and orders are correct, bills printed, knowing the menu inside-out.

For me, the second one is far better as there is less customer interaction. But I'm wondering how they realised this? I didn't declare a disability and didn't work at the till at all during that shift. I'm really glad about how its turned out but has anyone else had this experience? xD

ReputationRep:
    Its possible that through your interactions in the other roles during your training they realised that you are uncomfortable with lots of customer interaction. This happened to me at a previous job. My boss noticed that i get very stressed talking on the phone with customers so they took me off the main reception line. I much preferred this but i still had to cover it sometimes when other people were busy.

Or it could just be coincidence. it might have been that during your training they trained you on those things because that's what you will mostly be doping but they just needed someone on the till.

Honestly this doesn't sound like a problem to me though so i wouldn't be too concerned.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by auburnstar)
    Applied for a job and finally got one working in a restaurant, 10 hours a week. Thing is, when I did the training shift I was mostly serving customers, doing dishes etc but I've been assigned to do the till which involves making sure the money matches up etc and orders are correct, bills printed, knowing the menu inside-out.

For me, the second one is far better as there is less customer interaction. But I'm wondering how they realised this? I didn't declare a disability and didn't work at the till at all during that shift. I'm really glad about how its turned out but has anyone else had this experience? xD
    Some managers/employers are good and can pick up these things. It may have been a new colleague you expressed a preference to who passed on the information. It's in your employer's interests to keep you there.

ReputationRep:
    Further question - if I don't declare a disability in the application process, can I obtain reasonable adjustments later on? (all I would need is a few 5 minute rest breaks to sit as 5 hours standing w/o breaks is going to kill my lower body)
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Further question - if I don't declare a disability in the application process, can I obtain reasonable adjustments later on? (all I would need is a few 5 minute rest breaks to sit as 5 hours standing w/o breaks is going to kill my lower body)
    Yes but it's tends to be more difficult. This is the unfortunate debate we see a lot here since a lot of the time declaring can result in not getting the job. As unfair and unjust and illegal as that is, there isn't a lot that TSR can do:nope: Assuming you get the job, declaring at the earliest opportunity is the best thing to do for you at the workplace:yep: However, when declaration forms part of whether or not you get the job, then things get a lot more tricky...
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Yes you can, but you can't start building up any resentment or complaints about treatment until you have declared. So if you think you are ever likely to need to declare, do it earlier rather than later.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.