Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

They said I have good experienced but still got rejected... Watch

ReputationRep:
    I went to an interview last week and the employer said I had good experience for the role but was "just not the right candidate". What could that mean? They didn't seem to be specific.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnEvolvedApe)
    I went to an interview last week and the employer said I had good experience for the role but was "just not the right candidate". What could that mean? They didn't seem to be specific.
    It could mean anything, to be honest. Maybe there was another candidate with more experience. Perhaps the manager's son applied too. Maybe they decided they wanted someone they didn't have to pay as much. I wouldn't worry about the exact reason, just move on and keep trying.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Another candidate could have been more suitable for the role.

ReputationRep:
    I think that my travel distance might be one of the biggest issues for that vacancy, in my opinion. But yes, as you say, it could mean anything. I got a few more interviews coming up anyway.

ReputationRep:
    The liked you and your profile but they hired someone else. It was probably a tough call for them. Perhaps the other person suited better in the team personality wise.

ReputationRep:
    I had a similar thing a few weeks ago. I had a phone interview and the woman on the phone was saying "oh that's great that's just what we like to hear. You have really good experience, just what we are looking for" then a week later got an email saying other candidates had "more relevant experience and skills" which confused me because she said I had everything they wanted. Eh well.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    That's the issue, for entry level jobs, even junior jobs pretty much everyone you interview is going to have good experience (that's why you selected them) and be able to do the job. It's points on personality, fit with the team and the very marginal extras that come into play.

ReputationRep:
    If you are left confused after a rejection its always good to ask if you can get detailed feedback. I learnt so much about what was lacking in my interview performance from post interview phone calls with employers- they would tell me exactly which questions I didn't answer well. Unfortunately my experience was that good experience wasn't enough if you couldn't get every question spot on.

ReputationRep:
    There is simply too much competition. It is virtually like a (first) date - you think they are Mr/Mrs Right but another one comes along and they seem so much better.
    Don't read too much into what they say in the interviews; you may be a good fit in terms of experience but then there's also personality; as some jobs might not be for everyone and they seem to think that you're not right for the position.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngelsandFairies)
    There is simply too much competition. It is virtually like a (first) date - you think they are Mr/Mrs Right but another one comes along and they seem so much better.
    Don't read too much into what they say in the interviews; you may be a good fit in terms of experience but then there's also personality; as some jobs might not be for everyone and they seem to think that you're not right for the position.
    I'd be willing to enhance my skills and get experience to land a job. But the last thing I'd do is alter my personality. An employer or careers advisor requesting that are a disgrace in my view. I think it might be because I am not a very submissive person. And a lot of "menial" jobs require the employee to just put up and shut up. This is why I always see myself in a more complex role (such as law) rather than retail.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.