Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am due to start a MSc this week and have approval for the tuition loan (I haven't seent the declaration back yet). I am thinking of doing a PGCE (secondary science) in September 2018. Would I be able to get a student loan for the PGCE course fees even though I've already had a loan for the MSc (plus, I'd still get the teacher training bursary)? I didn't have a loan for my BSc.

I am a mature student with 2 dependant children (ages 13 and 9). Husband is in FT work but not a high earner.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi Jo2103

After you study your Msc when you go on to do the PGCE course you will be awarded the full undergraduate funding as a PGCE course is classed as a exception course.

Thanks Miriam
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jo2103)
    Hi,

I am due to start a MSc this week and have approval for the tuition loan (I haven't seent the declaration back yet). I am thinking of doing a PGCE (secondary science) in September 2018. Would I be able to get a student loan for the PGCE course fees even though I've already had a loan for the MSc (plus, I'd still get the teacher training bursary)? I didn't have a loan for my BSc.

I am a mature student with 2 dependant children (ages 13 and 9). Husband is in FT work but not a high earner.

Hi Jo2103 PGCE courses are currently exempt from ELQ & previous study rules if the course of Initial Teacher Training is two years or less in duration and you don't already hold Qualified Teacher Status.

This includes if you hold a Masters qualification.PGCE courses attract undergraduate support.Under the current rules, you will remain eligible for full funding as long as you don't already have QTS. That includes Tuition Fee, Maintenance Loan and Suplementary Grants.Your entitlement to the bursary will not affect the amount of support you are entitled to.
    Students do not need to apply for this bursary, if they are enrolled on a non salaried Postgraduate course & meet the eligibility criteria, they will begin to receive payments automatically by their chosen Teacher Training Provider. They will receive information on the arrangements & how this will be paid to them prior to the start of their course.
    Thanks Rona

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Rona. That's very useful information.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.