Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, sorry if this question is really vague I'm just looking for lots of different perspectives and ideas to help me with my dissertation.

So, I'm studying Early Years Education and I'm about to write the proposal for my dissertation. I have a question I am thinking of (I'm open to changing/tweaking this).

"Does the outdoor classroom help physical development in boys"

while I have been on placement I have obsreved that boys imprticilarly enjoy the outdoor area so I am attempting to home in on this and see how this can improve their PD.

I'm looking now at subsidiary questions, that will help me to answer my question and here is where I am struggling and wondering if anyone can help to point me in the right direction, reading, suggestions etc. So far I am thinking,
    - Do boys engage better with fine motor activities when they are in the outdoor classroom than they do inside?
    - is it the activities that are typically related to the outdoors that boys enjoy or is it the excitement of being outdoors that tends to engage them.
    - I'm thinking about looking at how using their gross and fine motor skills outside can help boys to improve their writing skills.

any advice at all it appreciated , thanks in advance!
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Taylorush)
    Hi, sorry if this question is really vague I'm just looking for lots of different perspectives and ideas to help me with my dissertation.

So, I'm studying Early Years Education and I'm about to write the proposal for my dissertation. I have a question I am thinking of (I'm open to changing/tweaking this).

"Does the outdoor classroom help physical development in boys"

while I have been on placement I have obsreved that boys imprticilarly enjoy the outdoor area so I am attempting to home in on this and see how this can improve their PD.

I'm looking now at subsidiary questions, that will help me to answer my question and here is where I am struggling and wondering if anyone can help to point me in the right direction, reading, suggestions etc. So far I am thinking,
    - Do boys engage better with fine motor activities when they are in the outdoor classroom than they do inside?
    - is it the activities that are typically related to the outdoors that boys enjoy or is it the excitement of being outdoors that tends to engage them.
    - I'm thinking about looking at how using their gross and fine motor skills outside can help boys to improve their writing skills.

any advice at all it appreciated , thanks in advance!
    Hiya:hi:

You're gonna be hard-pushed to find someone else with knowledge of Early Years dissertations.

The things that are coming to mind for me are ideas about Naturalist Learning. Montessori and that kind of thing. Where the child has freedom can they still learn and be curious and what is the connection between the "enjoyment" you talk about, what they are "learning" and the impact on their PD.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for coming to :tsr2:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 4, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.