Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Thousands of Muslims march against terrorism in London Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scienceq)
    also since you're complaining about Muslims, i hope ur doing ur part to stop terrorism by white ppl
    LOL 😂😂😂😂 gg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bang Outta Order)
    well obv you'd find terrorism funny
    what are you implying here??

edit: Bang Outta Order

ReputationRep:
    Why would media cover some dudes marching? Sky news etc already works under the assumption that not all muslims are terrorists, so no reason to report on mundane bs. Would be like a headline going "white boy goes to school" like ???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pidge Gunderson)
    The moment that Muslims admit that the Quran is fallible is the day when Islam essentially doesn't exist. It is impossible for a Muslim to say that their religion is wrong, which is what you're essentially doing when admitting that the infalliable nature of the Quran is... well, false.
    Where do you stand on the Bible then? I note that Trump has allowed states to deny the provision of free contraception on religious grounds and some states in the US now ban the teaching of evolution to school children. I don't see you condemning that.

Which is worse? An Islamic ideology, or a Christian one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    Where do you stand on the Bible then? I note that Trump has allowed states to deny the provision of free contraception on religious grounds and some states in the US now ban the teaching of evolution to school children. I don't see you condemning that.

Which is worse? An Islamic ideology, or a Christian one?
    The Bible has been altered and revisioned over the course of centuries. Christianity has already largely been reformed - a few Bible Belt states are taking a tad bit longer though.
    • Very Important Poster

Its odd the BBC (I cant remember them doing so, but they may have) didnt report it or at least i wasnt aware. That said it was pretty heavy on the Catalan events which were a bigger story.

ReputationRep:
    Just to get this straight - the marchers were Shia Muslims who are of the main victims of ISIS terrorism (ISIS is from the Sunni branch).

Spoiler:
    Show

oh, this has already been established by QE2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by desaf1)
    Obviously the typical Islamophobes on here are going to either remain silent or say that we're not doing enough. Nothing will ever be enough for them until the religion of Islam is either changed or destroyed, that's their real aim. They don't care about us ordinary people, me or you. They aim to spread hate
    The problem "Islamaphobes" have isnt that ordinary Muslims arent protesting enough about Terrorism, in many cases the two are very much related: in that one of the precise issue is Muslims ignoring that it the Islamic religious text and (certain) teachings that are used as inspiration for said terrorism. In otherwords treating it as an external issue when it is in many ways an internal one.

ReputationRep:
    islam is not a terrorist religion.
    isis or Taliban or kkk or any other extremist groups practice the religion of terror
    these extremists take a text out of context then use it to justify their actions.
    generalizing and stereotyping all muslims as terrorists and colouring their ideology as terror is unfair to those who are innocent and to those who practice their religion in peace, this goes for everyone whether you're a muslim or something else.
    don't subject yourself to a narrow mind like those extremists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    Odd that the Guardian didn't report it. They normally fall over themselves to separate Islam from terrorism.
    Possibly they saw it as more the annual celebration of Ashura rather than a separate protest against terrorism in itself?
    Possibly they didn't want to offend the Sunni majority by beeing seen to give support and validation to Shias?

It is hardly surprising that Shias demonstrate againts ISIS, as they are one on the primary victim groups. It's a bit like Jews demonstrating against Hitler - hardly newsworthy.

I wonder how may Sunnis were in attendance? (I can't be certain, but all the demonstrations against ISIS that I have seen have been organised by Shia or Ahmadiyya.)

Anywho, good on them. Any and all condemnation of any and all terrorism is welcome.

There must have been a high number of sunnis as they do represent 90% of muslims
    They are also shia terror groups

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ex-pert)
    There must have been a high number of sunnis as they do represent 90% of muslims
    Many Sunnis would not take part in an event organised by Shia (you only have to go to the ISOC thread to see Sunnis calling them "deviant" and the like), and they wouldn't go anywhere near anything to do with the Ahmadiyya.

They are also shia terror groups
    Correct. But Shia Muslims are specifically targetted by ISIS as heretics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cncinar)
    islam is not a terrorist religion.
    No, it isn't (I don't even know what a "terrorist religion" is). But it is a religion that is used to justify terrorism.

these extremists take a text out of context then use it to justify their actions.
    So when the Quran says that Muslims may have sex with their female slaves, and the sunnah confirms that Muhammad allowed his soldiers to have sex with their female captives, when ISIS soldiers use their female captives for sex they are just taking those passages "out of context"?

Could you explain the context in which you think it is acceptable to use your captives and slaves for sex?
    Thanks.

generalizing and stereotyping all muslims as terrorists ... is unfair
    Very true. It is wrong to make such generalisations. People are individuals and should be judged on their words and actions - including Muslims.

and colouring their ideology as terror is unfair
    Slightly different. Where the ideology says something unacceptable (like the sex with slaves, or wife beating, or executing apostates, etc) then we can judge the ideology on that basis. And if anyone attempts to defend such unacceptable actions, we can judge them as well.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'd like you to meet my friend, context, I don't think you've met before.Sorry, its like watching a 4 year old decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics. Do you know what slavery means in that context? Do you know what hate and enmity means in that context? The story? Surely Jews are allowed to hate Hitler.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustforAma)
    Hi, I'd like you to meet my friend, context, I don't think you've met before.Sorry, its like watching a 4 year old decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics. Do you know what slavery means in that context? Do you know what hate and enmity means in that context? The story? Surely Jews are allowed to hate Hitler.
    So there is a "context" in which slavery is acceptable?
    There is a "context" in which hating people for their religious beliefs is acceptable?

(Remember that the Quran is supposed to be the final, perfect, unchangable, universal and timeless guide for all humanity. It is not supposed to be a history book recounting past events that must be "contextualised" through historical and cultural relativism.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    There is a "context" in which hating people for their religious beliefs is acceptable?

(Remember that the Quran is supposed to be the final, perfect, unchangable, universal and timeless guide for all humanity. It is not supposed to be a history book recounting past events that must be "contextualised" through historical and cultural relativism.)
    (Original post by QE2)

Yes I’d say so. 99% of the time murder is not acceptable but in circumstance scuh as war, killing enemies is acceptable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by desaf1)
    Yes I’d say so. 99% of the time murder is not acceptable but in circumstance scuh as war, killing enemies is acceptable.
    I didn't ask about killing, I asked about slavery and about hating people for having a different religious belief - both of which are specified in the Quran but which apologists here are saying can be contextualised.

It is clear that there are certain (very limited) contexts in which killing can be acceptable, although never desirable.

The Quran is implicit that owning slaves is desirable (freeing slaves is prescribed as a punishment, so keeping them must be regarded as desirable), and explicit that hatred for non-Muslims is a good example to follow (60:4).
    So, again, in what context are these things acceptable to you?

ReputationRep:
    about 10 - 15 years ago there used to be a saying

"not all muslims are terrorists, but all terrorists are muslims.."

Spoiler:
    Show

unfortunately, it does seem like most terrorism we see in the news is done by muslims. Until this changes I do not think these muslim protests will alter public opinion much........

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.