Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all.

I was wondering if anyone might be able to help.

I have graduated and I have a law degree. However, it is a non-qualifying law degree. (I did not pass one of the Foundations of law modules until my 4th attempt)

Will this make me exempt from being able to do CILEx or the LPC indefinitely? I'd be really grateful if anyone could offer advice!

Thank you.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Elle042)
    Hi all.

I was wondering if anyone might be able to help.

I have graduated and I have a law degree. However, it is a non-qualifying law degree. (I did not pass one of the Foundations of law modules until my 4th attempt)

Will this make me exempt from being able to do CILEx or the LPC indefinitely? I'd be really grateful if anyone could offer advice!

Thank you.
    Hi

My insincts say contact the SRA and CILEX.

Having looked at QLD for you in the solicitors hand book it suggests that 3 is the max number of attempts allowed for it to be a QLD for Law Soc/SRA purposes. Out of interest, which subject was it?

If its non QLD, then you will be required to sit the CPE, but whether or not you get exemptions I do not know and the SRA should clear this up. My impression was it just prevents it being a QLD and not a bar to qualifying overall. If you can get it sorted out with the SRA and they give you a ruling on what you need to do, then this should satisfy anyone like BPP or UoL for the CPE or LPC. It should also satisfy cilex, although they may have their own rules.

Only they can tell you.

The academic hand book is here.

Do speak to them and they can give you confirmation as to what you need to do. i didnt even know the 3 times rule existed.

http://www.sra.org.uk/students/academic-stage.page

http://www.sra.org.uk/documents/stud...e-handbook.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Hey.

Thanks for messaging back! I have contacted the SRA and CILEx. My employers are sponsoring me to do the GFTD but I too was unaware of the 3 times maximum attempt until I happened to be looking at the SRA handbook.

My worry is that I'm going to now be told I'm unable to do it, as I've already started the course.

I'll try and see what I can come up with. It was the EU module [
    Thanks for all of your help! QUOTE=999tigger;74003692]Hi

My insincts say contact the SRA and CILEX.

Having looked at QLD for you in the solicitors hand book it suggests that 3 is the max number of attempts allowed for it to be a QLD for Law Soc/SRA purposes. Out of interest, which subject was it?

If its non QLD, then you will be required to sit the CPE, but whether or not you get exemptions I do not know and the SRA should clear this up. My impression was it just prevents it being a QLD and not a bar to qualifying overall. If you can get it sorted out with the SRA and they give you a ruling on what you need to do, then this should satisfy anyone like BPP or UoL for the CPE or LPC. It should also satisfy cilex, although they may have their own rules.

Only they can tell you.

The academic hand book is here.

Do speak to them and they can give you confirmation as to what you need to do. i didnt even know the 3 times rule existed.

http://www.sra.org.uk/students/academic-stage.page

http://www.sra.org.uk/documents/stud...e-handbook.pdf[/QUOTE]

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.