Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I get some microwave meals/preprepared food?? watch

ReputationRep:
    I actually can cook and I was for the first week but I seem to have got caught in the takeaway and leftover pizza habit...

I've joined societies and changed courses so I've got to catch up on some stuff...

Should I just buy things like microwave meals, fish fingers, jacket potates etc. for now?

It has to be better than skipping meals, eating takeaway and junk food everyday...
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, definitely. Microwave meals obviously aren't as a good as cooking from fresh but a lot of people don't have time for cooking properly. They're much better (and cheaper) than eating takeaways all the time, though.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    I sometimes did this because I couldn't be arsed with coming home at 7pm and cooking something.

ReputationRep:
    Any food is better than not eating, but you could pick a day to cook a big batch of meals, freeze them and then reheat them alter on in the week. It is quick to cook after a long day and it is healthier and cheaper than ready meals (salt, fat...)

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the habit of cooking a big meal one day and creating 2-3 meals out of it, meaning when I come home from uni after all day in lectures on a Monday at 6pm, I can just heat it up and it's ready in minutes. Healthier to make it yourself and cheaper too.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by MeowCat21)
    I actually can cook and I was for the first week but I seem to have got caught in the takeaway and leftover pizza habit...

I've joined societies and changed courses so I've got to catch up on some stuff...

Should I just buy things like microwave meals, fish fingers, jacket potates etc. for now?

It has to be better than skipping meals, eating takeaway and junk food everyday...
    I always like to have a stock of some super simple "real" meals for when I'm feeling lazy or run out of food. It includes things like pasta and sauce, beans and nachos, jacket potatoes, egg, quorn and bean quesadilla, carbonara, freezer food, steam rice with quorn and sauce, cheese toasties etc.

Also helps to know some microwave shortcuts. When my oven broke I learned you could cook fish fingers in a microwave, potato waffles in a toaster and frozen veg in the microwave (in a mug of water). All take about 3 mins in the respective tool. There are also omelette hacks and other quick microwave foods all over google and pinterest.

You can also do a big meal or two at some point and freeze leftovers for times like this.

So yeah I think it's good to keep some simple meals and ready meals for if you need them. Especially if it's a choice between that and not eating or just snacking.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 7, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.