Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I was wondering if you could help me with my student loan applications. I recently had a loan for the second year of Level 4 HNC Construction in the Built Environment (Civil Engineering) Part-Time at Leeds College of Building. I started this year of the course in September 2016 and it finished January 2017, as the full course runs for 1 and a half years. I then started the Level 5 HND Construction in the Built Environment (Civil Engineering) Part-Time in February 2017, which again runs for 1 and a half years, with me finishing the first ‘half year’ in June 2017 and commencing the second ‘full year’ in September 2017. I was unable to get a loan for the first half of the HND (February 2017 – June 2017) as I believe your system still thought I was studying the second year of HNC (September 2016 – January 2017), as the way Leeds College of Building set out there course dates is different to most education institutes, with the half years. Now the 2016/17 education year is over, my query is can I still obtain a student loan for the HND first ‘half year’ (Feb 17 – June 17)? I have read on your site that you can apply for a loan up to 9 months after you start the course. If I can get the loan for the first half of the HND, what will I need to do to get a loan for the second year of the HND (Sep 17 – June 18), which I am now studying? Will the system allow me to apply for two loans or will I have to apply at a later date? Any advice is helpful, as obviously I don’t want to have to pay for the course in full as it is not my fault that Leeds College of Building set their courses out in this manner that affects student loan applications.

Thanks for any help.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kanelukehowarth)
    Hi,

I was wondering if you could help me with my student loan applications. I recently had a loan for the second year of Level 4 HNC Construction in the Built Environment (Civil Engineering) Part-Time at Leeds College of Building. I started this year of the course in September 2016 and it finished January 2017, as the full course runs for 1 and a half years. I then started the Level 5 HND Construction in the Built Environment (Civil Engineering) Part-Time in February 2017, which again runs for 1 and a half years, with me finishing the first ‘half year’ in June 2017 and commencing the second ‘full year’ in September 2017. I was unable to get a loan for the first half of the HND (February 2017 – June 2017) as I believe your system still thought I was studying the second year of HNC (September 2016 – January 2017), as the way Leeds College of Building set out there course dates is different to most education institutes, with the half years. Now the 2016/17 education year is over, my query is can I still obtain a student loan for the HND first ‘half year’ (Feb 17 – June 17)? I have read on your site that you can apply for a loan up to 9 months after you start the course. If I can get the loan for the first half of the HND, what will I need to do to get a loan for the second year of the HND (Sep 17 – June 18), which I am now studying? Will the system allow me to apply for two loans or will I have to apply at a later date? Any advice is helpful, as obviously I don’t want to have to pay for the course in full as it is not my fault that Leeds College of Building set their courses out in this manner that affects student loan applications.

Thanks for any help.

Hi kanelukehowarth,

In order to give you accurate advice, we would need to look at your previous applications, please call us on

Tel: 0300 100 0607

(Open Monday to Friday from 8.00am to 8.00pm and between 9.00am and 4.00pm on Saturday and Sunday. Local call rates apply).

Thanks Rona

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.