Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have my own car and I'm fully comp insured and so is he. Am I legally allowed to drive it? I'm 22.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 581371)
    I have my own car and I'm fully comp insured and so is he. Am I legally allowed to drive it? I'm 22.
    You would need to check the terms of your own insurance policy, but most will not insure drivers for other cars under the age of 25 or so.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Every insurance policy is different.

You will need to check both of your insurance policies or confirm this with either your own or your brothers insurance provider.

Comprehensive simply means you can claim against your own policy if your own car is damaged.

Some policies may allow you to drive another vehicle with the owners consent, if this is permitted, then you will most likely only be covered under third-party terms and conditions.

Do not assume anything.

https://www.confused.com/motor-insur...-car-insurance
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Short answer, probably not.

Long answer:

Check the certificate of motor insurance your insurer gave you for your car - it'll tell you whether you are entitled to drive other cars third party.

As above, you usually need to be 25 to have this entitlement.

ReputationRep:
    I saw a newspaper article a little while back that warned that while it used to be fairly standard for comprehensive policies to provide cover for driving other people's cars, it's now much less likely to be the case.

Part of that is probably trying to keep premiums down -- another case of "you get what you pay for".

ReputationRep:
    You would need to be a named driver on his insurance, or have insurance yourself that allows you to drive any vehicle. I would suggest you do the first and it makes it easier, NB it may put the cost of your brothers insurance up.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.