Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Language a-level without GCSE and very little previous knowledge Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I recently came to the realization that I wanted to study languages at university but that requires an a-level in the chosen language, which requires a GCSE. Do you think I will be able to do the entire French GCSE in one year and start the a-level next year (I am in year 12)? Or will I be able to start from a-level without the GCSE?

Thank you for your help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dumbhermione)
    Hi,
    I recently came to the realization that I wanted to study languages at university but that requires an a-level in the chosen language, which requires a GCSE. Do you think I will be able to do the entire French GCSE in one year and start the a-level next year (I am in year 12)? Or will I be able to start from a-level without the GCSE?

Thank you for your help!
    You will need to work VERY HARD especially if you want to be able to obtain an A/B in French. I got an A* in French GCSE and finding the A level very challenging. I decided to do Italian ab-initio at my college where it's GCSE (got an A, 2 marks off an A* -_-") in the first year and whole A Level In the other, I wish I didn't do it, it requires so much precision and effort that I feel like I'm neglecting my other subjects. Although it does depend on your ability for languages as you may find it easier than me and you may grasp the language quicker. I also want to do Languages at university which is why I did the ab-initio course and if I get a good grade it'll show the unis that I have the ability to learn languages on an intensive course. If you really think you're going to work your arse off then I say go for it, nothing is impossible! Good luck! Try doing GCSE and AS together perhaps? You'll need to talk to the sixth form about requirements I'm guessing.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Thank you for your help!
    Which A-levels are you taking and what makes you want to study a languages degree? If you just want to learn a language, many universities have language centres where they run accredited courses to take alongside your degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoseRouge)
    You will need to work VERY HARD especially if you want to be able to obtain an A/B in French. I got an A* in French GCSE and finding the A level very challenging. I decided to do Italian ab-initio at my college where it's GCSE (got an A, 2 marks off an A* -_-" in the first year and whole A Level In the other, I wish I didn't do it, it requires so much precision and effort that I feel like I'm neglecting my other subjects. Although it does depend on your ability for languages as you may find it easier than me and you may grasp the language quicker. I also want to do Languages at university which is why I did the ab-initio course and if I get a good grade it'll show the unis that I have the ability to learn languages on an intensive course. If you really think you're going to work your arse off then I say go for it, nothing is impossible! Good luck! Try doing GCSE and AS together perhaps? You'll need to talk to the sixth form about requirements I'm guessing.
    Hi! Thanks for sharing your experience with me. The ab-initio sounds interesting and exactly what I need, but I think it's only offered in some colleges and not others? Anyway, thank you for your advice, and I'll be sure to keep it in mind when I make my decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sonechka)
    Which A-levels are you taking and what makes you want to study a languages degree? If you just want to learn a language, many universities have language centres where they run accredited courses to take alongside your degree.
    I'm taking English Literature, Economics, Psychology and Maths. I've always been interested in languages and how they keep evolving over time, and how there's so many different forms of the same language depending on where you live and your culture. Also, I've researched different universities and what courses they offer and so far I've only been interested in languages and I can't see myself studying anything else.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking English Literature, Economics, Psychology and Maths. I've always been interested in languages and how they keep evolving over time, and how there's so many different forms of the same language depending on where you live and your culture. Also, I've researched different universities and what courses they offer and so far I've only been interested in languages and I can't see myself studying anything else.
    Ok, well if you're passionate enough (and you do seem to be) it should be possible, but I would highly recommend dropping an A-level first (I would suggest either psychology or economics). The workload of 4 A-levels plus a whole extra A-level in one year is going to be considerable.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.