Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    my Physics and English (GCSE)?

I'm confident in all my other subjects apart from these. I need help improving both Literature and Language. I don't know why I struggle with these and it's really discouraging because I'm aiming for medicine so need decent grades. If anyone has any tips or advice that'd be really appreciated
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

Sorry I can't help you with Physics because I didn't take it for GCSE, BUT for English Lang and Lit, what I did was practice- a lot of it! People don't bluff when they say past papers do help. English isn't a subject that you can memorise after all, so focus on improving your exam techniques. I suggest doing practice questions and asking your teacher to have a look through and give you some feedback on how and where to improve. There are some Youtube videos on GCSE English Language Exam techniques as well, very useful! So yeah, Practice!!!!!!

For English Lit though, be absolutely familiar with all of your set texts- read up revision guides on them, analysis etc and form your own opinions on the plot, setting and characters as well. Since Lit is more essay based, focus on improving the structure of your essay. Remember an essay is an ARGUMENT and begin by directly addressing the question. (Thesis) and a brief one or two lines on why you think X is your argument to the question. Next, about 2-3 detailed and developed points on said argument, followed by a conclusion.

I'm pretty tired so this was slightly brief but if you do have any questions, you can ask below or PM. I'm more than happy to help out with English (both Lang and Lit)

Hope this did somehow help and good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blurryyface)
    Hi!

Sorry I can't help you with Physics because I didn't take it for GCSE, BUT for English Lang and Lit, what I did was practice- a lot of it! People don't bluff when they say past papers do help. English isn't a subject that you can memorise after all, so focus on improving your exam techniques. I suggest doing practice questions and asking your teacher to have a look through and give you some feedback on how and where to improve. There are some Youtube videos on GCSE English Language Exam techniques as well, very useful! So yeah, Practice!!!!!!

For English Lit though, be absolutely familiar with all of your set texts- read up revision guides on them, analysis etc and form your own opinions on the plot, setting and characters as well. Since Lit is more essay based, focus on improving the structure of your essay. Remember an essay is an ARGUMENT and begin by directly addressing the question. (Thesis) and a brief one or two lines on why you think X is your argument to the question. Next, about 2-3 detailed and developed points on said argument, followed by a conclusion.

I'm pretty tired so this was slightly brief but if you do have any questions, you can ask below or PM. I'm more than happy to help out with English (both Lang and Lit)

Hope this did somehow help and good luck
    Thanks a lot So basically just practise?? I definitely need to work on my essay writing as it never 'flows' properly and I always struggle because I find it too abstract as I'm more maths based. Thanks for your reply

ReputationRep:
    I can't really help with English lit and lang cause I bloody hate them but I can kinda help with physics!

I did OCR 21st Century Science Triple Award and found using the CGP Revision guide was a life saver. I used it to make mind maps on every topic/module and then flash carded ever module. The mind maps I did in pencil and then close to the exam I would go over it and colour code the entire thing for the important bits (took ages but worked for me).

Flashcard wise, I just put a question on one side, answer on the other. You revise while making them and are great for facts, definitions and equations. I used thm at GCSE, AS Level and am already making them for A Level this year!

Past papers. Dude seriously these are the best things you can do. Just practice, practice, practice. Learn the mark schemes and become confident with what they might ask.

I seriously struggled with Physics at GCSE (especially lenses and circuits) and I came out with an A* so have hope dude! Just practice and revise and before long you'll never have to do it again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yeahthatonethere)
    I can't really help with English lit and lang cause I bloody hate them but I can kinda help with physics!

I did OCR 21st Century Science Triple Award and found using the CGP Revision guide was a life saver. I used it to make mind maps on every topic/module and then flash carded ever module. The mind maps I did in pencil and then close to the exam I would go over it and colour code the entire thing for the important bits (took ages but worked for me).

Flashcard wise, I just put a question on one side, answer on the other. You revise while making them and are great for facts, definitions and equations. I used thm at GCSE, AS Level and am already making them for A Level this year!

Past papers. Dude seriously these are the best things you can do. Just practice, practice, practice. Learn the mark schemes and become confident with what they might ask.

I seriously struggled with Physics at GCSE (especially lenses and circuits) and I came out with an A* so have hope dude! Just practice and revise and before long you'll never have to do it again!
    Thanks I do have a CGP guide but struggle with applying the knowledge so I guess past papers will be the best way to go. A* is impressive xD Thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeYear11Kid)
    Thanks a lot So basically just practise?? I definitely need to work on my essay writing as it never 'flows' properly and I always struggle because I find it too abstract as I'm more maths based. Thanks for your reply
    If you're feeling lazy one day or just want to do this, plan your essays using a mind map. For example include what you'd include in each paragraph. These can be really useful when it comes to exam time, you could even get the question you planned!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeYear11Kid)
    my Physics and English (GCSE)?

I'm confident in all my other subjects apart from these. I need help improving both Literature and Language. I don't know why I struggle with these and it's really discouraging because I'm aiming for medicine so need decent grades. If anyone has any tips or advice that'd be really appreciated
    For physics, you need to practice exam questions and maths as there are lots of equations. And the rest are need to be revised thoroughly.
    English Literature, again, practicing past paper and exam questions are necessary. Also, it's important that you learn your Literary novels and the poems you're doing. You have to memorise important quotes and themes and summary of the whole book. It's important you learn the context and a back story of the literature piece you're doing. One example could be, A Christmas Carol which I am studying, is based on the division between the poor and the rich during the Victorian era.

However, the only revision for English Language is practicing exam papers and exam questions. Learn how to answer exam questions. Get more tips on how to structure your writing.

Hope it helped!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by username3563646)
    No problem! Yes! Your 'flow' and structure are extremely important in order to finalize your argument and get a good grade so in order to improve that,

Practice planning a few essays first since it can help you to get the structure right. For example: Your exam question is perhaps, "In what ways does the writer depict Hermione as clever." (this is a terrible example but as long as it helps)

So, begin with your mission statement (thesis) which will essentially be the beginning and main argument for your entire essay: The writer has depicted Hermione as extremely brilliant by making her always have an answer to the various problems and challenges that the trio have faced.

Then,

POINT 1 + HOW Point 1 will link to your thesis (Ex: In Chamber of Secrets, it was Hermione who had discovered that the Monster was in fact a Basilisk, which in turn helped Harry and Ron with the challenge of discovering who the Slytherin monster was, in order to save Ginny Weasley. [Explain a bit more of course but as long as your points are consistent to your main argument, you're good!] )

REPEAT for up to 2-3 POINTS. (My Lit teacher used to say that have 3 well-developed points and you'll be good to go. Maximum 4, no more than that because time management)

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.