Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Really struggling to get to sleep at uni- 3 weeks in and currently getting 4/5 hours sleep a night compared to 8 hours I usually slept when i was at home! Any advise or tips for helping with noise, sleep etc?

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried to set yourself a sleep routine during the week? Go to sleep and wake up the same time every day. Before you sleep, try to unwind. Light stretching, a little reading, listening to music. Try not to look at any screen, i.e. computer, phone, tv, tablet, as the light will make it harder for you to sleep. Avoid caffeine and eating late, perhaps look for malty drinks or camomile tea?

If you are a light sleeper, consider getting an eye mask (block out sunlight) and ear plugs (block out noise)
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phoebesvc)
    Really struggling to get to sleep at uni- 3 weeks in and currently getting 4/5 hours sleep a night compared to 8 hours I usually slept when i was at home! Any advise or tips for helping with noise, sleep etc?
    What helps you to sleep? Something hot before bed, is the room temp ok, extra pillows, music, hot shower, fan? Sometimes it just takes a while to settle somewhere new and unfamiliar or there's too much going on and you can't switch off.

ReputationRep:
    count to 1,000.

ReputationRep:
    if you cant sleep because your room mates are noisy: either confront them or get ear plugs. i know its not useful, or something you want to do, but bare in mind that on 4/5 hours of sleep youre not gonna do that great at your studies
    if you live in university accommodation check their rules regarding noise (i know that my accommodation rules state that after 11pm you need to quieten down, and at midnight you need to stop). if you do live in accommodation and they arent stopping at the rules given then you can report them to the university and they'll get spoken to. if you live in private accommodation then, legally, any noise after midnight which is keeping you up could be considered noise pollution and you could call the police to get them to quieten down
    if youre just generally having problems sleeping because youre away from home, think about exactly what it is that is keeping you up. does the mattress feel weird? are you taking naps throughout the day? are you eating well? are your pillows hurting your neck? all of these things can affect how well you sleep. i know that i had a real issue in my first two weeks (because of noise and a mattress wildly different to my own at home) but when everyone quietened down and i got used to my mattress i sometimes find myself getting anywhere from 8 to 10 hours a night.
    i know that one thing that helps me, even when it is noisy, is having ambient noise on. try and find a good, free app: i know that the one i use has a rain setting which normally gets me asleep in 20 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priincee)
    if you cant sleep because your room mates are noisy: either confront them or get ear plugs. i know its not useful, or something you want to do, but bare in mind that on 4/5 hours of sleep youre not gonna do that great at your studies
    if you live in university accommodation check their rules regarding noise (i know that my accommodation rules state that after 11pm you need to quieten down, and at midnight you need to stop). if you do live in accommodation and they arent stopping at the rules given then you can report them to the university and they'll get spoken to. if you live in private accommodation then, legally, any noise after midnight which is keeping you up could be considered noise pollution and you could call the police to get them to quieten down
    if youre just generally having problems sleeping because youre away from home, think about exactly what it is that is keeping you up. does the mattress feel weird? are you taking naps throughout the day? are you eating well? are your pillows hurting your neck? all of these things can affect how well you sleep. i know that i had a real issue in my first two weeks (because of noise and a mattress wildly different to my own at home) but when everyone quietened down and i got used to my mattress i sometimes find myself getting anywhere from 8 to 10 hours a night.
    i know that one thing that helps me, even when it is noisy, is having ambient noise on. try and find a good, free app: i know that the one i use has a rain setting which normally gets me asleep in 20 minutes.
    I'll try the rain app, I've tried other sleep well apps but I think the thing is I'm used to sleeping in silence so any noise is unsettling tome and I'm such a light sleeper! I've tried various earplugs but they don't really block out much sound! Got a decent mattress and don't eat anything at least an hour before bed and try to relax and unwind by reading.. I try to stick to regular sleeping times but because I haven't been falling asleep until 2/3am I've just been lying there from 10am onwards just trying to relax, fall asleep and stay calm! Think the trouble is my flatmates aren't 'noisy' per say I'm just maybe sensitive to sound, and the roadworks and city noisess of people And traffic outside keep me awake too!

ReputationRep:
    I'll try the rain app, I've tried other sleep well apps but I think the thing is I'm used to sleeping in silence so any noise is unsettling tome and I'm such a light sleeper! I've tried various earplugs but they don't really block out much sound! Got a decent mattress and don't eat anything at least an hour before bed and try to relax and unwind by reading.. I try to stick to regular sleeping times but because I haven't been falling asleep until 2/3am I've just been lying there from 10am onwards just trying to relax, fall asleep and stay calm! Think the trouble is my flatmates aren't 'noisy' per say I'm just maybe sensitive to sound, and the roadworks and city noisess of people And traffic outside keep me awake too!
    my personal problem is i cant stand silence! the app i use is just called "Ambience" and it has rain sounds, ocean sounds, basically a lot of natural noises that (when you get used to them) dont feel like theyre playing from your phones speakers
    if its more of the sound around you then (its going to sound silly and obvious) try closing your window at night if you leave it open. if thats not possible then really the best thing i can recommend is blasting rain noises for an hour or two and try to get to sleep listening to those: it makes all the other noises happening feel a lot less loud and extreme since it just feels like its raining if that makes sense
    good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.