Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Gaining access to universities music department facilities Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Chemistry student whose second biggest passion is music. I need access to the universities studio facilities. I've been in contact with a professor from the music department who tells me that what I'm 'requesting is not possible: the studios and associated facilities are for students on Music courses in the same way that Chemistry labs are for students doing Chemistry.' He however recommended I 'talk to the Students' Union about acquiring facilities for students in your position, perhaps through a bid to the Alumni Fund.'

I've just been in contact with the students union and am waiting for their response. Can anyone give me some other useful advice. Maybe someone has been in the same position or has a good idea about how to solve this issue?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it!
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Ash7498)
    I'm a Chemistry student whose second biggest passion is music. I need access to the universities studio facilities. I've been in contact with a professor from the music department who tells me that what I'm 'requesting is not possible: the studios and associated facilities are for students on Music courses in the same way that Chemistry labs are for students doing Chemistry.' He however recommended I 'talk to the Students' Union about acquiring facilities for students in your position, perhaps through a bid to the Alumni Fund.'

I've just been in contact with the students union and am waiting for their response. Can anyone give me some other useful advice. Maybe someone has been in the same position or has a good idea about how to solve this issue?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it!
    See if theres a society or you could start one? If theres an existing one then maybe they can arrange something.

Maybe you could befriend some music students and gauge what access there is.
    Cant say Im surprised by the professor though as he's right, especially if its a limited and expensive resource paid for by the music students.

Perhaps there are some inexpensive studios in town?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.