Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Thought: Why does it seem too much to ask to get a full-time permanent job? Watch

ReputationRep:
    It is indeed a weird proposition but that is just simply how I have been feeling.

I want (and need) a full-time, permanent job that pays at least minimum wage where I can just file documents, engage in general admin duties and work my way up, but I feel deluded......

Oh the glory days are gone where the older generations could literally ask "have you got any jobs going" and then the response would likely be "Yes, so when can you start?"

Anyone else feel this way?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I understand. I'm not in your position, but a similar one. I need a job with as few hours as possible that pays minimum wage to support myself while at uni. I transferred to another store within the same company and said I'd prefer a 4 hour contract as that's one of the ones they were offering, yet I've been put on to work 8 hours a week. I know I shouldn't really complain, but it's so hard now when there used to be jobs available that you could mold to fit you, whereas now you have to mold to fit them.

ReputationRep:
    How much effort have you put into your job search so far? If you expect just to walk into a one or two places, it's not likely to happen like that. There are just too many people looking for the same type of job. You need to be applying to lots of places. Unless you know someone, you will need to put in more effort - even if all you want is a simple admin job.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnEvolvedApe)
    It is indeed a weird proposition but that is just simply how I have been feeling.

I want (and need) a full-time, permanent job that pays at least minimum wage where I can just file documents, engage in general admin duties and work my way up, but I feel deluded......

Oh the glory days are gone where the older generations could literally ask "have you got any jobs going" and then the response would likely be "Yes, so when can you start?"

Anyone else feel this way?
    Such jobs are very competitive with applications often easily being triple digits. If you aren't having any luck distinguishing yourself then you should consider careers advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apple32)
    How much effort have you put into your job search so far? If you expect just to walk into a one or two places, it's not likely to happen like that. There are just too many people looking for the same type of job. You need to be applying to lots of places. Unless you know someone, you will need to put in more effort - even if all you want is a simple admin job.
    How much effort? A lot.

I have always a broad scale of options so there are plenty of different jobs I will do. But regardless, I still feel like how current job climate has made it a very high expectation to have a full-time, long-term, secure job. That's pretty much what this rant-post is about.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 5, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.