ASHLEYTMK
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am currently heavily considering the prospect of doing a Masters with placement year for Chemistry at Leicester, but i don't know anyone that does chemistry at Uni and was wondering if anyone who has studied chemistry would be able to tell me whats its like to study it at university.

I will most probably be predicted AAA in Maths, Chemistry and Economics and was wondering what the workload is like at Uni, Thanks!
Wwys
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you still have any questions about Chemistry at Leicester, send me a message! Just finished this year!
Royal Society of Chemistry
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ASHLEYTMK)
I am currently heavily considering the prospect of doing a Masters with placement year for Chemistry at Leicester, but i don't know anyone that does chemistry at Uni and was wondering if anyone who has studied chemistry would be able to tell me whats its like to study it at university.

I will most probably be predicted AAA in Maths, Chemistry and Economics and was wondering what the workload is like at Uni, Thanks!
Hi ASHLEYTMK,

This is a general overview of a chemistry degree and not specific to Leicester, however as Leicester chemistry courses are accredited by the Royal Society of Chemistry, you can be confident that much of this will be very similar.

It is worth knowing now that chemistry is a very rewarding degree but it does come with a high level of contact time compared to other degrees. Especially compared with non-STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Maths) degrees. This is due to not only having lectures of course but also lab sessions. Attendance to both of these will play a critical part in your overall degree grade.

In lectures you will be expected to take your own notes as well as continue your learning through further study in the library and tutorials etc. Throughout a term you may have some coursework linked to the work and usually will have an examination on the content you have covered.

In labs you will be putting into practice some of the theory you have been studying in your lectures, alongside the development of crucial practical skills that are required to be an effective chemist. You will need to prepare for the lab sessions in advance and following them, you will be expected to prepare a lab report documenting your findings. These too are generally assessed.

In your final year of either a BSc or MChem, you will be expected to complete an independent research project with one of the research groups at your university. This will become your dissertation and a crucial part of your overall grade. Whilst it is still a great deal of lab work, you will also be studying papers on similar research and using it to inform and enhance your own work.

I hope that gives you a good, albeit brief overview. If there are any specifics you want to dig a little deeper on, please feel free to leave us another message below or on our thread.

All the best,

Gareth
Royal Society of Chemistry
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (193)
14.31%
I'm not sure (60)
4.45%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (393)
29.13%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.74%
I'm not a current university student (666)
49.37%

Watched Threads