Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I received my resit results on the 20th September and was required to withdraw however I had mitigating circumstances so I was told to submit an appeal by my maths department which I did, but I also wanted to change my course from Financial Maths to Maths. I called up clearing after submitting my appeal and explained this to them and they said this is okay to do through a clearing form. I was then emailed saying that i can't actually do this while i have an open appeal. So I was contemplating cancelling my appeal and applying to another course since it was taking a while to get a response but I called clearing up again and they said I can't apply for maths or any other course as it is too late. Every time i called I kept being told the same thing which was that my situation is being looked into and that somebody will get in contact with me but nobody did so overall a lot of time was wasted and now i'm not sure what to do. Can anybody give me some advice? I don't want to waste another year
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Othem)
    I received my resit results on the 20th September and was required to withdraw however I had mitigating circumstances so I was told to submit an appeal by my maths department which I did, but I also wanted to change my course from Financial Maths to Maths. I called up clearing after submitting my appeal and explained this to them and they said this is okay to do through a clearing form. I was then emailed saying that i can't actually do this while i have an open appeal. So I was contemplating cancelling my appeal and applying to another course since it was taking a while to get a response but I called clearing up again and they said I can't apply for maths or any other course as it is too late. Every time i called I kept being told the same thing which was that my situation is being looked into and that somebody will get in contact with me but nobody did so overall a lot of time was wasted and now i'm not sure what to do. Can anybody give me some advice? I don't want to waste another year
    Having done a bit of searching it says clearing entries have been removed from the tool on the 30th and that means you have to go to the uni direct. they have till 23rd October to make a final decision.

I would look to see if theres anyone who will take you. Its not clear but the 30th of September deadline might make it impossible for new applications and that the 23rd of October is only for existing outstanding ones. In that case here are no other options and you might as well continue with the appeal. Im not sure mitigating circumstances will work , but youve read the appeal rules.

Check to see if it means no new applications or whether you can go direct and get a uni to accept you. If so then search around. You should have been doing that anyway.

In the event you cant find anywhere, then you might as well continue with the appeal. Im not that hopeful as they can be tricky and restricted. I havent seen the documents.

In the event the appeal doesnt work, then just reapply next year/ resit. Earn money and get experience. Its only a year and better than rushing into things.

You just have to deal with the situation as is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Having done a bit of searching it says clearing entries have been removed from the tool on the 30th and that means you have to go to the uni direct. they have till 23rd October to make a final decision.

I would look to see if theres anyone who will take you. Its not clear but the 30th of September deadline might make it impossible for new applications and that the 23rd of October is only for existing outstanding ones. In that case here are no other options and you might as well continue with the appeal. Im not sure mitigating circumstances will work , but youve read the appeal rules.

Check to see if it means no new applications or whether you can go direct and get a uni to accept you. If so then search around. You should have been doing that anyway.

In the event you cant find anywhere, then you might as well continue with the appeal. Im not that hopeful as they can be tricky and restricted. I havent seen the documents.

In the event the appeal doesnt work, then just reapply next year/ resit. Earn money and get experience. Its only a year and better than rushing into things.

You just have to deal with the situation as is.
    If I was to go into my uni and speak to my maths department or maybe try and arrange a quick meeting to explain that they should give me a second chance would that make a difference?
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Othem)
    If I was to go into my uni and speak to my maths department or maybe try and arrange a quick meeting to explain that they should give me a second chance would that make a difference?
    They will be waiting for the appeal result.

Why is it your uni? Its more likely to annoy them imo.

Resit and gap year isnt so bad.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Othem)

Did you apply for special consideration at the time of the exams? Think you have to be patient.

ReputationRep:

Did you apply for special consideration at the time of the exams? Think you have to be patient.
    How is it not bad? I'll be 3 years older than everyone it depresse's me even thinking about it
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Othem)
    How is it not bad? I'll be 3 years older than everyone it depresse's me even thinking about it
    Its just life and people get on with things. Other people have to put up with a lot worse setbacks and they do.

ReputationRep:
    Its just life and people get on with things. Other people have to put up with a lot worse setbacks and they do.
    Guess you're right. Might even look into apprenticeship's if it doesn't work out. Thanks anyway for replying I appreciate it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.