Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently heavily considering the prospect of doing a Masters with placement year for Chemistry at Leicester, but i don't know anyone that does chemistry at Uni and was wondering if anyone who has studied chemistry would be able to tell me whats its like to study it at university.

I will most probably be predicted AAA in Maths, Chemistry and Economics and was wondering what the workload is like at Uni, Thanks!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    alow does chemistry (at Cambridge tho, so wont' be able to comment on the Leicester course/workload specifically) and might be able to give some idea of how it compares to A-level (generally).

My impression from people I've known who did is that above all else there is a lot more labtime normally - most had one whole day of labs in first year, at least (i.e. 6 hrs~). This is probably a good thing but I suppose is dependent on who's running the labs.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,I study chemistry in Sheffield. My advice would be to only do it if you really really enjoy the subject... That's the mistake I made. I was so unsure of what I wanted to study and ended up doing Chemistry. I'm in my 4th year sitting on a high 2.1 hopefully aiming for a first, but jesus would it be so much easier if I actually enjoyed what I was studying. Chemistry is hard work, but if you really work for it you will do well. I'm really not enjoying my time as a chemistry student but tbh I'm staying on this final year so I can secure that First. There is also a great deal of independence when you get into your Masters which I'm still trying to adjust to. Also, don't let anyone tell you first year doesn't matter... because it DOES. First year is where you will learn the fundamentals of your degree subject, and without those fundamental understandings you will limit yourself to how much you can achieve. I ****ed about in first year and I'm still convinced that I have loads of gaps in my knowledge because of it. Also expect to spend a lot of time in labs... labs are fun though and also a way in which you can really get high marks and bring your average up. I had 1 day of labs in first year, then second year 2 days, then 3rd year even more... and then 4th year.. yep you guessed it. Message me if you have any more questions. Not sure if I've been helpful but I guess I kinda needed to vent anyway. Ha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASHLEYTMK)
    I am currently heavily considering the prospect of doing a Masters with placement year for Chemistry at Leicester, but i don't know anyone that does chemistry at Uni and was wondering if anyone who has studied chemistry would be able to tell me whats its like to study it at university.

I will most probably be predicted AAA in Maths, Chemistry and Economics and was wondering what the workload is like at Uni, Thanks!
    It very much builds on what you've done at A Level, although obviously in much more detail. You'll learn core content for pretty much all of the broad fields of chemistry (physical/theoretical, organic, inorganic, etc.) but I would expect there will be plenty of scope to really concentrate on one or two specific areas that interest you. There will be quite a lot of time in labs at least for the first 3 years as there are lots of techniques and methods you need to learn and get good at, along with (almost definitely) needing to analyse data and write up lab reports that aren't simply filling in boxes.

It's hard work but if you like chemistry and manage your time well you'll do fine.

(Original post by szechuansauce)
    Hi there,I study chemistry in Sheffield. My advice would be to only do it if you really really enjoy the subject... That's the mistake I made. I was so unsure of what I wanted to study and ended up doing Chemistry. I'm in my 4th year sitting on a high 2.1 hopefully aiming for a first, but jesus would it be so much easier if I actually enjoyed what I was studying. Chemistry is hard work, but if you really work for it you will do well. I'm really not enjoying my time as a chemistry student but tbh I'm staying on this final year so I can secure that First. There is also a great deal of independence when you get into your Masters which I'm still trying to adjust to. Also, don't let anyone tell you first year doesn't matter... because it DOES. First year is where you will learn the fundamentals of your degree subject, and without those fundamental understandings you will limit yourself to how much you can achieve. I ****ed about in first year and I'm still convinced that I have loads of gaps in my knowledge because of it. Also expect to spend a lot of time in labs... labs are fun though and also a way in which you can really get high marks and bring your average up. I had 1 day of labs in first year, then second year 2 days, then 3rd year even more... and then 4th year.. yep you guessed it. Message me if you have any more questions. Not sure if I've been helpful but I guess I kinda needed to vent anyway. Ha.
    Go into computational chemistry if you want no labs

Although I definitely agree on the labs being far easier marks than exams. I've consistently been 10% higher on practicals just because I get to do them in my own time so can really do my best.

ReputationRep:

I do the same a levels as you
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by szechuansauce)
    Thank you very much, your response was very helpful, i am thankful to find out that first year matters which could save me trouble and it's great to know i need to enjoy the subject (Which i do so thats good), it was also very helpful to know how lab orientated the course is.
    Thanks and i wish you the best of luck on finishing your degree!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reece.W.J)
    I do the same a levels as you
    Lit, what you planning on studying further

ReputationRep:
    Lit, what you planning on studying further
    Chemistry (in year 12 rn though)
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    It very much builds on what you've done at A Level, although obviously in much more detail. You'll learn core content for pretty much all of the broad fields of chemistry (physical/theoretical, organic, inorganic, etc.) but I would expect there will be plenty of scope to really concentrate on one or two specific areas that interest you. There will be quite a lot of time in labs at least for the first 3 years as there are lots of techniques and methods you need to learn and get good at, along with (almost definitely) needing to analyse data and write up lab reports that aren't simply filling in boxes.

It's hard work but if you like chemistry and manage your time well you'll do fine.

Go into computational chemistry if you want no labs

Although I definitely agree on the labs being far easier marks than exams. I've consistently been 10% higher on practicals just because I get to do them in my own time so can really do my best.
    Thanks a lot for the information, nice to know there will be a lot of labs to develop skills, seems as though lab reports are not everyones cup of tea though.
    Thanks a lot, best wishes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    alow does chemistry (at Cambridge tho, so wont' be able to comment on the Leicester course/workload specifically) and might be able to give some idea of how it compares to A-level (generally).

My impression from people I've known who did is that above all else there is a lot more labtime normally - most had one whole day of labs in first year, at least (i.e. 6 hrs~). This is probably a good thing but I suppose is dependent on who's running the labs.
    Thanks for the info!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reece.W.J)
    Chemistry (in year 12 rn though)
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot for the information, nice to know there will be a lot of labs to develop skills, seems as though lab reports are not everyones cup of tea though.
    Thanks a lot, best wishes
    Lab reports are fine, as long as you don't leave them to the last minute...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Lab reports are fine, as long as you don't leave them to the last minute...
    Fair enough, will keep that in mind

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.