Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello.

I have never worked before and graduated in psychology.

I want a part time job to save money but I'm worried that I will be overqualified if I show employers I have a degree and no experience.

Any advice on what to do?

Also is temping better than retail as they know it is only temporary employment so they will know I won't move off to look for a graduate role?

ReputationRep:
    Have you started looking for graduate roles yet? Sometimes work experience or volunteering can help you land jobs. The problem with part time work is, as you said, you may quit very soon when you find something better. It isn't impossible however. Look for jobs with high turnover, like pubs and restaurants. Temp work is a good idea, but the work contracts can differ based on availability. Sometimes you might go for a month or so without work, so it isn't stable.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    They won't care about your degree, only that you have no experience.

Volunteer somewhere or look for smaller roles but in the industry you wish to work in.

(Original post by iodo345)
    Hello.

I have never worked before and graduated in psychology.

I want a part time job to save money but I'm worried that I will be overqualified if I show employers I have a degree and no experience.

Any advice on what to do?

Also is temping better than retail as they know it is only temporary employment so they will know I won't move off to look for a graduate role?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannxm)
    They won't care about your degree, only that you have no experience.

Volunteer somewhere or look for smaller roles but in the industry you wish to work in.
    Thanks for the reply

Do you know for sure that they won't care about the degree?

I have been looking on previous threads and they all say that my cv will instantly be binned. does this depend on the employer then?

I am looking at volunteering in a charity shop and have volunteered previously at other places I just need a decent reference.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    They bin it because they view all graduates as clueless young people with no actual knowledge of working in a job. There are many graduates who may never have had a job in their life.

I am hoping to get a job whilst I'm studying, in the field I hope to go into, to avoid this issue.

Thanks for the reply

Do you know for sure that they won't care about the degree?

I have been looking on previous threads and they all say that my cv will instantly be binned. does this depend on the employer then?

I am looking at volunteering in a charity shop and have volunteered previously at other places I just need a decent reference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannxm)
    They bin it because they view all graduates as clueless young people with no actual knowledge of working in a job. There are many graduates who may never have had a job in their life.

I am hoping to get a job whilst I'm studying, in the field I hope to go into, to avoid this issue.
    Do you think I will have any hope of finding any retail/ non graduate job then or should I give up altogether and accept I have failed life at 22 and have no hope?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    There is hope obviously, it may just be difficult. Your life isn't over.

Do you think I will have any hope of finding any retail/ non graduate job then or should I give up altogether and accept I have failed life at 22 and have no hope?

ReputationRep:
    It depends. WHsmith and next will take anyone. Supermarkets no chance unless you lie and take your CV off. Tbh you should lie as employers deserve everything they get for rejecting grads.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 4, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.