Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why is my [17 M] crush [17 F] shy around me at school but not shy at parties/online? Watch

ReputationRep:
    She knows I like her and has a "rebound" boyfriend according to her friends (I found out at a party and one of her friends specifically said that he was a rebound to make her ex jealous). They started going out two or so weeks after the break up.

On to the main bit. She sometimes looks at me and she almost always looks down instantly. She is normally shy around me in school but she is normally flirty on snapchat or at parties.

We were at a party (same one where I found about the rebound) and she seemed really happy when I showed up late. She also slapped my ass with a rubber chicken and ran away laughing. She kinda paused and looked at me for about 5 seconds before doing it. I was laughing too.

Her ex kissed her best friend (who was in a relationship) at the party and I texted my crush to see if her best friend and her boyfriend were still together and she said they were. I replied with "what (ex) did was messed up" and she said it "wasn't that bad" and I agreed with "it was only a kiss" and she replied with "you know yourself" with a winking face, kinda implying that she might go out with me at some point.

Her snaps are always of her face looking to the side with her mouth open or her looking at the camera with wide eyes.

I just don't get why she is shy around me at school, sometimes she does look at me quite a bit and smiles when she sees me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by throwaway2000ep)
    She knows I like her and has a "rebound" boyfriend according to her friends (I found out at a party and one of her friends specifically said that he was a rebound to make her ex jealous). They started going out two or so weeks after the break up.

On to the main bit. She sometimes looks at me and she almost always looks down instantly. She is normally shy around me in school but she is normally flirty on snapchat or at parties.

We were at a party (same one where I found about the rebound) and she seemed really happy when I showed up late. She also slapped my ass with a rubber chicken and ran away laughing. She kinda paused and looked at me for about 5 seconds before doing it. I was laughing too.

Her ex kissed her best friend (who was in a relationship) at the party and I texted my crush to see if her best friend and her boyfriend were still together and she said they were. I replied with "what (ex) did was messed up" and she said it "wasn't that bad" and I agreed with "it was only a kiss" and she replied with "you know yourself" with a winking face, kinda implying that she might go out with me at some point.

Her snaps are always of her face looking to the side with her mouth open or her looking at the camera with wide eyes.

I just don't get why she is shy around me at school, sometimes she does look at me quite a bit and smiles when she sees me.
    Well, for me personally I'm much much more extroverted online as it seems "fake" to me, I also dont need to make eye contact and conform to the social "norms" I'm also alot more comfortable in my clothes I wear etc and usually alot calmer too, I actually think thats the same for everyone.

As for the parties, she knows she is going there to talk to people, she is prepared to talk to people etc and also she knows alot of the people around her so it doesnt feel very (1 on 1)-y.. Also at parties you're expected to be more extroverted too and to muck around as thats why you're there :P.

So yea, I think shes not good at one on one conversations which are face to face and also there's so many people around that you feel more on edge, she'd probs feel nervous unless ovc you're a close friend of hers or you're in a group setting.
    (Idk if she likes you or not) but if she was just talking to you and acting flirty in public and her friends saw then it'd maybe get weird for her too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Relentas)
    So yea, I think shes not good at one on one conversations which are face to face and also there's so many people around that you feel more on edge, she'd probs feel nervous unless ovc you're a close friend of hers or you're in a group setting.
    (Idk if she likes you or not) but if she was just talking to you and acting flirty in public and her friends saw then it'd maybe get weird for her too.
    She's usually quite extroverted, forgot to say that in the question.

ReputationRep:
    She's usually quite extroverted, forgot to say that in the question.
    (Again, dk if she likes you, dk if you said she does or not) But she probs get nervous around you if she does like you OR she feels weirded out by the fact you like her, which happens.

ReputationRep:
    She slapped your ass with a "rubber chicken"
    WHAT THE FOOK?!

ReputationRep:
    (Again, dk if she likes you, dk if you said she does or not) But she probs get nervous around you if she does like you OR she feels weirded out by the fact you like her, which happens.
    Could she be looking down a lot because she doesn't want to show me her feelings (if she does like me?) because she likes me but doesn't want me to be a rebound?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saggy titties)
    She slapped your ass with a "rubber chicken"
    WHAT THE FOOK?!
    She found a fake rubber chicken and I was looking in the fridge, noticed her standing beside me, looking at me and then hit me running off laughing lol.

I asked where she got it the next day after asking about the couple and she couldn't remember.

ReputationRep:
    Could she be looking down a lot because she doesn't want to show me her feelings (if she does like me?) because she likes me but doesn't want me to be a rebound?
    It could be be but she's most likely just weirded out by the fact you like her. That or she just really hates eye contact..

ReputationRep:
    It could be be but she's most likely just weirded out by the fact you like her. That or she just really hates eye contact..
    She has been getting friendlier as the year goes on too, she was quite cold at the start of the year.

ReputationRep:
    She has been getting friendlier as the year
    I mean, this would imply that she is becoming less introverted around you, and if thats the case then keep doing what you're doing.

ReputationRep:
    I mean, this would imply that she is becoming less introverted around you, and if thats the case then keep doing what you're doing.
    So she is starting to see me as someone she can feel comfortable around? Great! She is already comfortable around me at parties, she did that thing where you point at someone while flicking your wrists when I showed up late. That could be a good sign right?

ReputationRep:
    So she is starting to see me as someone she can feel comfortable around? Great! She is already comfortable around me at parties, she did that thing where you point at someone while flicking your wrists when I showed up late. That could be a good sign right?
    Well, the fact you said she's getting friendlier around you would imply that she's more comfortable around you I guess. So you're kinda right there. But the second part about flicking the wrist can either be good or bad, its the same as saying "oh, theres that guy." It can be "oh, theres THAT guy...." in a bad way or "oh! there's that guy!" in a happy/good way or it could be neutral as in "oh, there's that guy." It doesnt mean anything is what im trying to say. The flick of the wrist could be saying anything depending what she said just before/after, I'd personally ignore it and try not to read into it too much as when you're crushing on someone you'll tend to do that.

ReputationRep:
    Well, the fact you said she's getting friendlier around you would imply that she's more comfortable around you I guess. So you're kinda right there. But the second part about flicking the wrist can either be good or bad, its the same as saying "oh, theres that guy." It can be "oh, theres THAT guy...." in a bad way or "oh! there's that guy!" in a happy/good way or it could be neutral as in "oh, there's that guy." It doesnt mean anything is what im trying to say. The flick of the wrist could be saying anything depending what she said just before/after, I'd personally ignore it and try not to read into it too much as when you're crushing on someone you'll tend to do that.
    She was smiling while doing it but I shouldn't look too much into that.

ReputationRep:
    She was smiling while doing it but I shouldn't look too much into that.
    Yea, means nothing most probably, she couldve been smiling from a joke before, she could be happy to see you, she could be happy at the party etc, so yea, just ignore it. :P

ReputationRep:
    Yea, means nothing most probably, she couldve been smiling from a joke before, she could be happy to see you, she could be happy at the party etc, so yea, just ignore it. :P
    She had her resting face on before she saw me

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 4, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.