Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    It has been nearly a month of doing chemistry and I absolutely struggling. I achieved an A in chemistry 5 marks away from A* . Anyways at GCSE it used to be my favourite subject but now at a level I’m atruggling on it . . My teachers are not helping either , one is on paternity leave while the other one doesn’t know how to teach us properly , constantly using big terms and overall he is awkward therefore I hate his lessons . I self learn but it seems like nothing goes in . I cannot change the subject so I’m stuck with chem . I genuinely like it and need it for my course .
    Anyways , any tips ?
    I’m not thinking of tutors since I have one tutor for A level Spanish which is already costy?

ReputationRep:
    are there any other chemistry teachers you can talk to , what don't you like about it exactly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KillerCosine)
    It has been nearly a month of doing chemistry and I absolutely struggling. I achieved an A in chemistry 5 marks away from A* . Anyways at GCSE it used to be my favourite subject but now at a level I’m atruggling on it . . My teachers are not helping either , one is on paternity leave while the other one doesn’t know how to teach us properly , constantly using big terms and overall he is awkward therefore I hate his lessons . I self learn but it seems like nothing goes in . I cannot change the subject so I’m stuck with chem . I genuinely like it and need it for my course .
    Anyways , any tips ?
    I’m not thinking of tutors since I have one tutor for A level Spanish which is already costy?
    If you don't already use E Rintoul on youtube to help you when self-teaching, then definitely do so. He's good at explaining concepts in a no-nonsense way.

Hope that things get better! I'm in year 13 right now and honestly I've had so much experience with crap chem teachers (well, just the one tbh, I had the unfortunate luck to be stuck with her during GCSEs and year 12... somehow I came out with an A at AS so yay)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KillerCosine)
    Anyways , any tips ?
    What spec do you do? I do AQA for A-Level Chemistry and I particularly find downloading the specification helpful as it can easily show what areas you need to learn.

Also consider purchasing the CGP Student Book for A-Level Chemistry, because unlike the revision guides, these books are more concise and helpful and is relevant to your spec. They should have AQA, Edexcel and OCR.

With the student book, make detailed notes in your preffered way. Also use the youtube channel CrashCourse, where they have a playlist for Chemistry. Although their videos are not specifically made for specification, they can still be really useful. Only watch the videos that are relevant to your spec.

I can relate as I also find A-Level Chemistry quite tricky and I got an A* in GCSE Chemistry. It is best to realise now that GCSE and A-Level is a big jump and therefore your revision methods should change.

I hope this was useful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ray_Shadows)
    are there any other chemistry teachers you can talk to , what don't you like about it exactly
    No. Most of my science teachers have degrees with biology and physics , the archers I have are the only ones.

The thing I don’t like him - sincerely the whole class of 4. He is not very approachable and that’s what make me kind of insecure to ask him , I did ask him about a concept I did not understand but again he made it more confusing , I asked him once again and you could see he was frustrated and so I made an excuse.
    The way he teaches is very old school . Make paragraphs of what the books says or complete worksheets . He explains the concepts very fast , more complicated and that’s it he leaves

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ukvoltaire)
    What spec do you do? I do AQA for A-Level Chemistry and I particularly find downloading the specification helpful as it can easily show what areas you need to learn.

Also consider purchasing the CGP Student Book for A-Level Chemistry, because unlike the revision guides, these books are more concise and helpful and is relevant to your spec. They should have AQA, Edexcel and OCR.

With the student book, make detailed notes in your preffered way. Also use the youtube channel CrashCourse, where they have a playlist for Chemistry. Although their videos are not specifically made for specification, they can still be really useful. Only watch the videos that are relevant to your spec.

I can relate as I also find A-Level Chemistry quite tricky and I got an A* in GCSE Chemistry. It is best to realise now that GCSE and A-Level is a big jump and therefore your revision methods should change.

I hope this was useful!
    Very useful thanks

ReputationRep:
    E Rintoul Theres so much on YouTube as well mate. Get a textbook as well, make your own notes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ukvoltaire)

I hope this was useful!
    Thank you it did help

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.