Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Possibility of doing a third year of A levels? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have finished my first year in which I did my AS exams and got good results in them, I got B's. I'm currently in my second year and am predicted and am on track to get B's in my second year for my actual A levels. Is it possible even if I pass all 4 of my A levels to do one extra year (year 14) of A levels.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by angrykieran)
    I have finished my first year in which I did my AS exams and got good results in them, I got B's. I'm currently in my second year and am predicted and am on track to get B's in my second year for my actual A levels. Is it possible even if I pass all 4 of my A levels to do one extra year (year 14) of A levels.
    Ask your school, but I think its highly unlikely as they wont get funding for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Ask your school, but I think its highly unlikely as they wont get funding for you.
    It is possible! I am currently in year 15 (it’s a long story!) As a student you get funded for 3 years of education but its up to the individual School
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by MollBritton98)
    It is possible! I am currently in year 15 (it’s a long story!) As a student you get funded for 3 years of education but its up to the individual School
    year 15 so you are getting two extra years? Why? Did you pass years 12+13 as the OP suggests. As i said they should ask the school but imo highly unlikely.

ReputationRep:
    year 15 so you are getting two extra years? Why? Did you pass years 12+13 as the OP suggests. As i said they should ask the school but imo highly unlikely.
    Yeah I did year 12 and 13, got A*AB, realised I wanted to do medicine at the start of year 13 (I had always wanted to but didn’t think I was smart enough) but did the wrong subjects. So went to a different sixth form to do 3 extra a Levels to get the right subjects
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Doing a "year 14" is not so uncommon among many schools - however in terms of applying to university, this is only advisable if in the "additional" year you're doing one or more entirely new subjects, or you changed your entire subject profile after first year. This ensures you sit your exams in the normal 2 year period that universities expect, barring a "false start" in the wrong subjects, or an extra year to pick up essential prerequisites after having a change of direction.

Taking the same subjects over 3 years, with or without retakes, is generally inadvisable. For some subjects (medicine and related) they normally don't accept this at all. For most others, it's generally not preferred unless there are extenuating circumstances, outside of the cases outlined above, for many of the "upper" ~third of universities normally. While it won't necessarily prevent you gaining admission (except perhaps at the "top" 3-4), it does raise a flag for the university that you were not, for whatever reason, able or willing to undertake a normal academic load, and are thus likely less well prepared for the rigours of university life as a result (again, with reference to the above exceptions).

If you aren't planning to apply to university, it's irrelevant - by all means take 3 years, if you want. With the exception of a few apprenticeship schemes that are more competitive than others (where much of the above advice would probably apply) employers aren't really going to care - they probably won't even have much idea of what your qualifications entail any more anyway.

In terms of funding, your local authority normally funds studies for students under the age of 19, provided that the final year of the course(s) is the one turn 19 in (i.e. you must be under 19 before starting your final year of academic study in order to have funding). There may be some caveats about equivalent or lower qualifications (specifically, lower) - if you've done your A-levels, which is a level 3 qualification, and want to do a year long course at your local FE college that is a level 2 qualification, there may be some change to the above (you might need to partially or fully fund the course, but it may also just be considered as any other - you should contact them to make sure). This doesn't apply to GCSE Maths and English which they have a requirement to get you to pass at the equivalent of a C grade, and they should always fund you to take these exams if you haven't attained this (even if you're over the age of 19, there are normally schemes to help "adult" learners achieve this without significant or any cost to themselves).

ReputationRep:
    It's absolutely possible yes, just probably not as things are currently. Your college probably wouldn't be able to fund you staying for another year but, you could sit an exam elsewhere as a private candidate if you so wished. But, that would entail private study probably at home cos' I assume they'd only let you sit an exam at their centre. However if all you're doing is resitting, can't see that being a major problem.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by SahDude)
    It's absolutely possible yes, just probably not as things are currently. Your college probably wouldn't be able to fund you staying for another year but, you could sit an exam elsewhere as a private candidate if you so wished. But, that would entail private study probably at home cos' I assume they'd only let you sit an exam at their centre. However if all you're doing is resitting, can't see that being a major problem.
    Private candidate is different because they are self funding.

ReputationRep:
    Private candidate is different because they are self funding.
    very true, would be interested in knowing the actual reasoning behind doing another year of a-levels tbh especially if he/she is on track to get the grades they want/are capable of.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, it's just im planning on joining the marines and need an extra year of training so I thought I'd do an extra year of a levels.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, its because I'm going to join the royal marines but I need another year of training soI thought I may as well do another year.

ReputationRep:
    Why bother? You did so well! People would work themselves silly to get your 4B's. If you aren't happy with your predicted grades then speak to your teachers about being predicted an A?

ReputationRep:
    Just so I can prepare for the marine and also get some other qualifications
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by angrykieran)
    Thank you, its because I'm going to join the royal marines but I need another year of training soI thought I may as well do another year.
    Just ask them and let us know if they will. I seem to be at odds with other people on the thread because I think its highly unlikely after successfully finishing your A levels they let you stay on for a further year. Their discretion, but more familiar is schools asking pupils to leave after an unsuccessful year 12 or refusing to allow them to repeat year 12.

Asking for a year 14 and stay on seems unusual, but nothing to lose by asking. Maybe they have previously let others stay on? I cant see what youd plan to do in another year? training in what?

Id have thought they would ask you to transfer to college?

ReputationRep:
    It 'll buy me time to get prepared for the marines and I will get more qualifications in that year. But I will inform you as to my result

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.