Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I recently changed my course from Early childhood studies to Education studies after finishing my foundation year in Early childhood studies. The course is nice and the teachers are nice, it's just, I can't click with anyone at all. Most of them came from foundation year Education studies where as I came from foundation year Early childhood studies. I'm trying to be approachable by saying hi to everyone but nothing helps, they all stick to their own little groups they made from foundation year. I don't mind not having friends I guess, it's just when it comes to group work, I feel like a total outcast with no one around me to work with.

I really want transfer back to my Early childhood studies course and be with the friends I made there. It's just, there's a BIG placement within the course thats compulsory. It's two full days at uni and two full days at the placement (working within a nursery). I feel like this is going to be really really stressful for me.

My Mother is very ill and I'm her carer. She has blood pressure, slipped discs, cataract in both eyes (she's going to have eye surgery soon), doctors say she might have throat cancer too, the list goes on. She doesn't know english either so I have to help her with her appointments and what not.

Not only this but I've been having severe lower back pain for the past 9 months or so. It only happens when I lay down for a long period of time. It wakes me up in the middle of the night so I don't get much sleep. I'd feel tired just by going to uni for half a day. It also spreads to my upper back, ribs, shoulder blades etc. The pain in those areas feels like its inflammed. I have a feeling it could be ankylosing spondylitis. I've made a appointment with the physio to see if it helps but idk...

I know I shouldn't transfer to another course cause I can't make friends. But at the same time Early Childhood Studies was my first choice to begin with. I only changed after finishing my foundation year because I knew that in year 1, 2 and 3 I would have to do 2 full days at uni along with 2 full days at a placement (for free) on top of being a carer for my sick mum as well as having problems with my health too.

Is there anything I could do to reduce the time I do the placement? I'll be fine with atleast one full day at the placement.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps you should talk to the program director or your counselor for both programs. That's the only way to know for sure. You definitely need to take care of your health or else you will not be able to continue your studies or take care of your mother.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.