Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How could I improve my marks on this question? Watch

ReputationRep:
    The question was

How does the writer present the character of Ralph in this extract :

sometimes when Grandfather provoked Ralph I though Ralph would be quite capable of jumping to his feet, reaching across the table , seizing grandfather by the throat and choking him. He was a big man , who ate heartily , and I often was afraid he might hit me. But Mother somehow kept him in check. Since Ralph's appearance she had grown neglectful of grandfather. For example- as grandfather had pointed out that evening- she would cook the things that Ralph liked (rich, thick,stews, but not curry) and forget to produce the meals that grandfather was fond of. But no matter how neglectful and even hurtful she might be to grandfather herself , she wouldn't have forgiven someone else's hurting him . It would have been the end of her and Ralph. And no matter how much she might hurt Grandfather- go show her allegiance to Ralph - the truth was she did want to stick by him. She still needed - she couldn't break free of it- this delicate equilibrium that she, he and I had constructed over the months .

This is an 8 mark question and so this was my answer to it :

In this extract , the character of Ralph is presented as a perilous man by a variety of language techniques such as by the deployment of the adjective " big" in the following quote - " he was a big man " the word " big suggesting Ralph as a big predator therefore must be very dangerous suggesting that he must have much power and control over others as he is much bigger then them therefore people fear this man.
    - " who ate heartily " the declaration of the word " ate" is chosen to emphasise Ralph as one who eats on his prey , a hungry greedy " big " monster linking to the fact that he is a dangerous man the adverb " heartily reveals Ralph's power , has much aggression it has an effect to illustrate to the reader that Ralph is a hungry powerful man that ate his prey like a beast therefore people must fear this ' perilous' man . It's a sigh of man that the reader may fear too .

For this question I had
    5/8 marks how could I improve?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    you still need help in this thread? i can help

ReputationRep:
    Yes please
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.