Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puppo)
    I just got acknowledged today too tho for a different course. some unis actually send out acknowledgement after an offer and I imagine it's cos they are probably dealt with by 2 different departments
    Ah I see thanks! just got an offer hahah 😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LewisTindall)
    Hi it took me just under 3 weeks to get an offer. Don’t worry if you have no correspondence at all because I didn’t even get an acknowledgement email for my application but just got a conditional.

Unconditionals to Glasgow for an English course won’t be too common I think. And they’ll probably only look at your application by the time everything is in.

Best of luck!!

Awesome, thanks! Also, sorry, still new to this whole conditional/unconditional offers, but why wouldn't getting a unconditional for an English course be common? Are unconditionals just uncommon in general?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by who1963)
    Awesome, thanks! Also, sorry, still new to this whole conditional/unconditional offers, but why wouldn't getting a unconditional for an English course be common? Are unconditionals just uncommon in general?
    Unconditional offers mean that they want you to go so badly that they don’t care what grades you get. They’re not uncommon per say but the more -academic so to speak- unis tend to give them out less due to how many people apply for the courses. And English is always heavily applied to! It’s definitely not unheard of and you will get an unconditional offer if you already have the grades they want because idk say you took the exams last year but the majority of applicants receive a conditional offer (mine is A-level grades AAB), meaning that you need to achieve those grades to get on to the course.

I’m not sure entirely how it works as you’re a US applicant but I’m assuming you’re still going to be sitting exams this academic year? The IB or something? Those exams will likely be what get you into the uni or not if you get in following your conditional offer (although if your application is really really strong there’s nothing to say you won’t get an unconditional! They’re just less common)
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LewisTindall)
    Unconditional offers mean that they want you to go so badly that they don’t care what grades you get. They’re not uncommon per say but the more -academic so to speak- unis tend to give them out less due to how many people apply for the courses. And English is always heavily applied to! It’s definitely not unheard of and you will get an unconditional offer if you already have the grades they want because idk say you took the exams last year but the majority of applicants receive a conditional offer (mine is A-level grades AAB), meaning that you need to achieve those grades to get on to the course.

I’m not sure entirely how it works as you’re a US applicant but I’m assuming you’re still going to be sitting exams this academic year? The IB or something? Those exams will likely be what get you into the uni or not if you get in following your conditional offer (although if your application is really really strong there’s nothing to say you won’t get an unconditional! They’re just less common)
    Oh! Okay...that makes sense I think. Yeah, I still have two rounds of finals before I graduate. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Just got an unconditional offer for Politics )))

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qmwnebrv)
    Just got an unconditional offer for Politics )))
    Congratulations!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by catmckie)
    Congratulations!!
    Thank you ☺️

ReputationRep:
    Conditional offer for Politics! 38 IB points and 666 HL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by homicidalwaffle)
    Conditional offer for Politics! 38 IB points and 666 HL
    Congrats! I wish you luck in your studies.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got summer school as a condition? I may get this as a condition if I get an offer for History/Politics, but I cannot attend because I am in Northern Peru on a World Challenge. Does this mean I won't get adjusted grades even though I am in a priority postcode?

ReputationRep:
    Got an unconditional for Politics a few days after I sent off my UCAS last month. (Scottish Resident Fee Status)

ReputationRep:
    Course applying for: Sociology and Politics (second year entry)
    Predicted/achieved grades: A*A*A*AA (on a gap year so achieved)
    Current offer status: Unconditional offer
    What made you apply?: Glasgow is my favourite city.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hysterria)
    Anyone else attended the open day?

I absolutely loved it
    I was there! The open day is the No. 1 reason why I am now struggling between Imperial College London (if I get an offer) and Glasgow. Before the open day I was 90% sure I'd choose Imperial but now Glasgow is much more attractive...
    Anyway point is I loved it and I can actually picture me studying there next year, plus its biomedical engineering course looks quite good!
    What will you study? Where are you from?

What surprised me on the open day was that everyone seemed so young, like 15-16 years old while I'm 17. Why is that? How old are you btw?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alpegu006)
    I was there! The open day is the No. 1 reason why I am now struggling between Imperial College London (if I get an offer) and Glasgow. Before the open day I was 90% sure I'd choose Imperial but now Glasgow is much more attractive...
    Anyway point is I loved it and I can actually picture me studying there next year, plus its biomedical engineering course looks quite good!
    What will you study? Where are you from?

What surprised me on the open day was that everyone seemed so young, like 15-16 years old while I'm 17. Why is that? How old are you btw?
    I want to study History/Politics and I am 16 and will only be 17 when I actually go to university. This is because the age boundaries are different in Scotland. Bit weird there at 15 year olds though... When I was at St.Andrews a 15 year old was with me for some reason which I didn’t like as they can’t go to university hahahaha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SocialStudiesETC)
    I want to study History/Politics and I am 16 and will only be 17 when I actually go to university. This is because the age boundaries are different in Scotland. Bit weird there at 15 year olds though... When I was at St.Andrews a 15 year old was with me for some reason which I didn’t like as they can’t go to university hahahaha.
    Is that why there's an extra year at Scottish universities? (4 instead of 3 like in England).
    Maybe it was just the impression it gave me and there were actually only 16 and 17-year-olds... It's weird though, starting uni at an age where you can't legally drink (arguably the most common activity at university). How do you think you (and scots in general) will fare?

ReputationRep:
    Is that why there's an extra year at Scottish universities? (4 instead of 3 like in England).
    Maybe it was just the impression it gave me and there were actually only 16 and 17-year-olds... It's weird though, starting uni at an age where you can't legally drink (arguably the most common activity at university). How do you think you (and scots in general) will fare?
    Fake ID and good chat will probably get me far hahahaha. I’m really looking forward to the social aspect of university as well as the learning, but the experience at Glasgow looks amazing. Yeah I’m sure some people just look younger than their age, bit pointless. Apparently the first year in Scotland is more for finding your feet at university as opposed to academia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SocialStudiesETC)
    Fake ID and good chat will probably get me far hahahaha. I’m really looking forward to the social aspect of university as well as the learning, but the experience at Glasgow looks amazing. Yeah I’m sure some people just look younger than their age, bit pointless. Apparently the first year in Scotland is more for finding your feet at university as opposed to academia.
    Oh, I should have guessed hahaha. I've got an offer for entry into year 2 so I won't really get to test it IF I get the A*A*A they want...
    So how come you're in Perú?

ReputationRep:
    Course applying for: Mathematics BSc
    Predicted/achieved grades: ABB (plus B for EPQ and A for level 3 Maths)
    Current offer status: Application to be sent off end of this week
    choices in order: Glasgow, Newcastle, Dundee, Sheffield, Liverpool/Queens Belfast
    What made you apply?: The course is amazing! I love the city, the building is beautiful!, decent nightlife, want to live somewhere with a different atmosphere (not surrounded by tories) and I have family in Edinburgh (not a fan of their university)!

Anyone from South East England applying to glasgow???

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I should have guessed hahaha. I've got an offer for entry into year 2 so I won't really get to test it IF I get the A*A*A they want...
    Does your offer say 'Start from: Year One' or 'Start from: Year Two'? I applied for year two but mine says year one.

ReputationRep:
    Well done! I just sent my application to my school today so I'm hoping they send it away very soon. I'm applying for year one entry, how old are you? I'm in Northern Peru backpacking for one month and I'm trekking the Andes when there as well as destroying turtle traps and community DIY. Really excited for it, will be an experience that's for sure.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.