Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps someone here can help me out.

basically finished my first undergraduate degree (from an ex-poly uni, pretty low ranked) in what was essentially vocational computing about 4 years ago, ended up with a 2:1 despite making very little effort, looking back.

Got a job quickly after, so basically been working 4 years and had a few standard promotions and pay rises etc, but I can kind of see I'm reaching the ceiling of where I can go with my existing skill set. I'm on a reasonable wage for the job I'm doing, but I feel like I could be doing more and want to push myself.

I'd ideally like to go to a redbrick level uni or higher, but my academic grades are poor, because I wasted my time when I was younger, never applied myself, more interested in playing online games. Perhaps most of all, I didn't realise how soul crushing it is to go to the same job every day with little prospect to ever be earning a "high" wage.

I've matured and developed as a person a great deal since joining the workplace, and I think if i was given an opportunity to better myself I would utterly annihilate any sort of task put in front of me, because I can understand the threat of what I have to go back to if I don't work hard

to the actual question, I've been looking at trying to get into Msc Data Science/Big Data, but many of the ones i looked at also requested A level Maths, which I don't have, but feel like I have the capacity to obtain now I'm more mature. Rather than accept a lower tier university, is there any entry path to a decent uni I could do? would they take 4 years software development experience into consideration at all?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shoegazer92)
    It's worth contact the universities you are interested in directly. They tend to take fairly individual approaches to mature students with relevant experience. It will depend on what the course is designed for (how much is a conversion element) and how they rate your professional experience in terms of an academic equivalent.

You are probably going to have to apply and see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    It's worth contact the universities you are interested in directly. They tend to take fairly individual approaches to mature students with relevant experience. It will depend on what the course is designed for (how much is a conversion element) and how they rate your professional experience in terms of an academic equivalent.

You are probably going to have to apply and see.
    Thanks for the advice, suppose I'll have to contact them and see what they say. I do tend to think they won't be too accommodating regarding my previous academic achievements though

ah well, at least this seems better than I expected
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shoegazer92)
    Thanks for the advice, suppose I'll have to contact them and see what they say. I do tend to think they won't be too accommodating regarding my previous academic achievements though

ah well, at least this seems better than I expected
    I think you'll be surprised

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.