What to wear when handing out CVs Watch

The_Architect
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I need to hand out a bunch of fashion retail CVs at a big shopping centre (Meadowhall). The last few times I've done this I wore a navy blue suit with a white shirt, black shoes and a red tie - I did this based on the common advice notion that it's always better to overdress than underdress, and that "too smart" is better than "too casual".

However, it's since occurred to me that it may not be the most appropriate dress code for handing out CVs in fashion retail. and that I may be coming across as more out-of-touch than smart, especially when many employers adopt more casual dress codes in their interviews. For this reason, so I wanted others' opinions - am I overdressing here, or is what I'm wearing appropriate to the occasion?
SalimH
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You are correct. Better be safe than sorry.Just wear a suit. Look fresh and make sure you have something unique about your suit.
The_Architect
Rep:
?
(Original post by SalimH)
You are correct. Better be safe than sorry.Just wear a suit. Look fresh and make sure you have something unique about your suit.
Thanks for the input, it's much appreciated. Anyone else?
apple32
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A suit, although safe, might be more than you need when you are applying for an hourly position. If you are applying for a corporate position, then it's perfect. Here are some ideas: example #1, #2, and #3. You could also dress like that to the interview.

Although, you are looking for work in retail at a big shopping center, the manager may very well tell you to apply online, too. I would do that in advance.

Good luck.
The_Architect
Rep:
?
Now I'm even more conflicted. Would really appreciate if as many more people as possible could weigh in here, so I can build up some sort of idea as to what the consensus on this is.
angrypoliceman
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
shirt and tie with suit trousers- that's about as smart as I would go
Skyewoods
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Suit
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Smartish trousers and top. Suit is OTT
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (33)
27.73%
No (86)
72.27%

Watched Threads