Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I need to hand out a bunch of fashion retail CVs at a big shopping centre (Meadowhall). The last few times I've done this I wore a navy blue suit with a white shirt, black shoes and a red tie - I did this based on the common advice notion that it's always better to overdress than underdress, and that "too smart" is better than "too casual".

However, it's since occurred to me that it may not be the most appropriate dress code for handing out CVs in fashion retail. and that I may be coming across as more out-of-touch than smart, especially when many employers adopt more casual dress codes in their interviews. For this reason, so I wanted others' opinions - am I overdressing here, or is what I'm wearing appropriate to the occasion?

ReputationRep:
    You are correct. Better be safe than sorry.Just wear a suit. Look fresh and make sure you have something unique about your suit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SalimH)
    You are correct. Better be safe than sorry.Just wear a suit. Look fresh and make sure you have something unique about your suit.
    Thanks for the input, it's much appreciated. Anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    A suit, although safe, might be more than you need when you are applying for an hourly position. If you are applying for a corporate position, then it's perfect. Here are some ideas: example #1, #2, and #3. You could also dress like that to the interview.

Although, you are looking for work in retail at a big shopping center, the manager may very well tell you to apply online, too. I would do that in advance.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Now I'm even more conflicted. Would really appreciate if as many more people as possible could weigh in here, so I can build up some sort of idea as to what the consensus on this is.

ReputationRep:
    shirt and tie with suit trousers- that's about as smart as I would go

ReputationRep:
    Suit
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Smartish trousers and top. Suit is OTT

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.