Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    For English literature GCSE there are so many quotes to remember with the range of texts along with contextual points. I was wondering what are some good ways to remember quotes when revising? Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Just remember a few for each topic.. not all of them - the ones you can analyse most.
    I'm pretty sure in my exam I guessed some of them and probably got some of the phrasing wrong on some but still got an A* so i don't think it matters too much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jennifugh)
    For English literature GCSE there are so many quotes to remember with the range of texts along with contextual points. I was wondering what are some good ways to remember quotes when revising? Thank you
    Listen to readings of the book/poems a few times so is in your long term memory. Read them to yourself in voices, teach other people their meanings and one of the best things to do is give it actions because physical movement helps to implant thoughts.
    If you say put your hand on your chest for any quote with heart in it then if you do that in the exam you'll remember it or remembering that you've revised in this lets face it unusual Way will help you to remember.
    I also shouted my quotes randomly to scare my siblings which is good fun and helps revision.
    I did all this and I got a 9 (A**) and I'm now studying lit at A level
    Hope this helps
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I did AS English Lit and for me I liked to use post it notes and stick it on somewhere I see regularly and then swap it around every few days. I colour coded it by themes as well. You could also use a white board and write all quotes you know for each theme before you start learning more. I did these mostly when it was close to the exam or when I had a test.
    If you answer essay questions it will help you learn the quotes and you'll see the quotes you use often. This is mostly how I learnt quotes and the above was how I revised them. The hard bit is choosing the quotes and how much quotes to learn.

ReputationRep:
    to help me memorise i write the quotes out on post-it notes and place them where i go often(eg fridge, mirror etc)

ReputationRep:
    Flash cards are good for something on the go and writing them out is also good revision.

ReputationRep:
    I found the read, cover and write method useful. Another useful method for me was to write a single word of the quote on the flashcard as a spur for me to remember the rest of the quote and get others to test you.

ReputationRep:
    Try and remember a few that are relevant to each character, and some that relate to specific themes highlighted in the text (e.g. romance, honour, social responsibility etc.). I did this for my english literature paper 1 mock last year (I'm in year 11 now) and I managed to get 75/80 on it. Even though I thought I didn't revise enough quotes, I found out that deeply analysing the quotes using context can make up for that in a way.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.