Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually really struggling on which of two subjects to decide to actually do for my GCSEs. Here's the run down
    • I'm great at English Lit/Lang, I honestly love it and will definitely be my degree for University.
    • Before I started my GCSEs this year, I always used to get roughly the same grade for both Geography and History, only one being the exception when we were doing human population; I got a much higher grade in Geography.
    • I absolutely love the topics learnt in History, however I always seem to fail to get a great grade when doing assessments, which is weird considering History is more of an English based subject, which is what I would excel at.
    • I was offered Geography, so I took it.
    Just keep in mind at the end of the day, I'll study English at University. That being said, should I switch to History now before it's too late?
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by TheCapstan)
    I'm actually really struggling on which of two subjects to decide to actually do for my GCSEs. Here's the run down
    • I'm great at English Lit/Lang, I honestly love it and will definitely be my degree for University.
    • Before I started my GCSEs this year, I always used to get roughly the same grade for both Geography and History, only one being the exception when we were doing human population; I got a much higher grade in Geography.
    • I absolutely love the topics learnt in History, however I always seem to fail to get a great grade when doing assessments, which is weird considering History is more of an English based subject, which is what I would excel at.
    Just keep in mind at the end of the day, I'll study English at University. That being said, should I switch to History now before it's too late?
    Bottom line is whatever you will get the best grade in.

If youd prefer it to be history then its possibly a risk, but talk to the history teacher about how to improve and learn what period you might be studying. Its possible to get better in history but just be honest about your ability.

If its on offer do Classics instead thats a mix.

ReputationRep:
    In this case if you know you are going to fail then yes. You want the extra grades then go for it but that means you will have to work harder because you are already behind I do GCSE history at first it was interesting we did medicine through time than we did king John and Richard which I found boring but now we are doing Nazi Germany and ww1 for year 11 in short terms go fro what you will succeed in.

ReputationRep:
    If you honestly think you will do badly in history, then go for geography. However, history requires the ability to comment on the importance of events and issues and how they impact wider ideas (like english) as well as analysing the effect of these events and issues on the situation at hand (again, like english). English lit/lang is often recommended to be accompanied with history at a level seeing as they both count as humanities subjects. Also, history will improve your essay writing skills (which you will need if you are to take an english course at university).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCapstan)
    imo, History is a far stronger supplement to an English based degree relative to Geography. Geo is (as far as my understanding goes) more of a scientific field. Whereas History depends more on communication skills, text analysis, open interpretation e.g source work etc and I kinda feel like there's way more overlap between English and History.

Now, here's the important bit; it doesn't matter how well something supplements your A Level options, if you're fundamentally bad at the supplementing subject/don't enjoy it - you're probs not gonna do too well in it and thus the fact that it supplements your degree choice will be irrelevant because your grade obtained won't be good enough to get you into uni if you flop in it anyway.

My advice is this - if you like history more and believe you can figure out the root cause of not getting great grades in assessments despite liking the subject - then go for it. But if there's a way better chance of doing better in Geo, then, it's better to go for that and get a quality grade in it, rather than get a poor grade in History just because it may have helped a university application you were years away from starting.

Plus, A Level Geography is a well-regarded subject undoubtedly - there are skills that you can extrapolate onto your English degree from Geography too e.g analytical skills, communication skills etc.

Good luck with your GCSE's, A-Levels and all the rest of it.

ReputationRep:
    Why not do both
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.