Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have just started at university just under 2 weeks ago, coming straight from school. I know this is very early to consider dropping out however I am having a miserable time. There hasn't been a day where I haven't cried and just haven't found people that I click with, despite everyone else appearing to have made loads of friends. They are either quiet and don't talk or are loud, popular and cliquey. My course seems interesting and I do love the subject, but I don't want to suffer for 3 years being miserable and depressed to be honest. I've joined societies but haven't met anyone I get alone with that way. The thought of having to choose housemates in roughly a month makes me feel sick to the core. I have a few questions about settling in / dropping out at uni.
    - how long did it take you to settle in? And we're you miserable at first?
    - when did you meet and make friends with your actual friendship groups
    - if I drop out, I'm planning on sticking it out until semester 2, and if I'm still struggling then will leave. Is that a good amount of time to wait, or too long or too short?

Lastly and most importantly, if I do drop out, I want to go to a different university next September, but if I apply via UCAS, the deadline is October for 2018 entry to unis... if I dropped out in January how would I go about applying to unis for september 2018 entry?

Thanks for any advice in advance
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear about your situation.

Hang in there, it's just been 2 weeks.

Keep going, converse with people at lectures and tutorials, ask them them what they find about this topic, why did they choose that course and their ambitions for the future. I'm sure in time you'll click with a few people at the societies and clubs.

You could transfer to a more local university and catch the train and back, a know a few people who went far then transferred their next year to a local university.

If you choose to drop out, do it soon, you don't want to put on your CV that you wasted one year. And I believe there may be financial implications getting funding from SFE, you may just get the final two years funding (not 100% sure).

ReputationRep:
    I just dropped out of Durham

https://youtu.be/XZJbdxXUtks

James.

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm hating uni too. I've made friends and stuff but I hate my course modules and I don't like being so far away. I rang up a uni closer to home today which had modules I preferred and asked if they'd let me transfer and they said yes. Now I've just got the accommodation issue. Maybe you could try transferring?
    If you're gonna drop out I wouldn't wait as I think if you drop out now you dont' have to pay your years fees, but if you leave it till later you will have to pay for the rest of the year!!
    Ultimately go off your gut instinct.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.