Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I did 12 GCSEs and got 2A*s, 9As and 1B.
    For AS I did History, Psychology and Economics getting AAC.
    I've dropped and picked up a subject in Yr13, so at the end will have four A-levels in English Literature, History, French and Psychology. I'm predicted A*AAA. I'm also doing the EPQ and predicted an A for that. I've done a practice of the LNAT and got 19/42. Would I stand a chance for Oxford?

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying to Oxford for law too and just want to giev you a bit of my background;
    I got 6 A*s and 5 As at GCSE and got a terrible ABC at AS. My GCSE grades are good enough but it's my AS grades that will most likely get me rejected. I did lnat practice papers from the Mark Shepard book and got 12/30 on the first mock then 17/30 and then 23/30 so honestly the more you practice, the better. I would probs focus a lot on the essays cos I focused so much on the MCQ and when it came to the real thing, I found the MCQ a lot better than the essays ://
    When I told my tutor that I was applying to Oxford she basically said there's no point because I'll be up against more rich and privileged kids who have been working towards this their whole lives. I was extremely disheartened but also very motivated to just prove her wrong. I worked and worked on my PS and after 5 drafts, it's finally polished and I sent off my UCAS just earlier today! Also spoke to all of the teachers writing my reference and they said they're doing their best to back me up and write a strong piece to back me up!

My point is, and relating this back to you, as long as you make a really good personal statement, make sure you get a strong reference, have good predicitons (which yours are!) and have good GCSEs (yours are good but could be little stronger), I say why not? I know I'm just a student and not sure if it actually makes me 'qualified' to say any of this but I just think that if you have the chance and willpower to apply to one of the most prestigious institutions in the world, why wouldn't you? I know my chances of getting in are extremely slim especially with my AS grades but honestly I don't want to miss the oppurtunity to apply there. Hope this helps and gave you a bit of hope/motivation lol.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for your opinion. I agree, why not give it a shot!! I've also just sent off my UCAS earlier today. Fingers crossed for both of us!! 😁

ReputationRep:
    Oxford is extremely competitive, so don't be disheartened if you don't get in.

FYI no one from my college got accepted, including the people with a ton of A*s at GCSE.
    I'm not saying don't apply, just remember it's very difficult to get into an Oxbridge Uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Himyar48)
    I'm applying to Oxford for law too and just want to giev you a bit of my background;
    I got 6 A*s and 5 As at GCSE and got a terrible ABC at AS. My GCSE grades are good enough but it's my AS grades that will most likely get me rejected. I did lnat practice papers from the Mark Shepard book and got 12/30 on the first mock then 17/30 and then 23/30 so honestly the more you practice, the better. I would probs focus a lot on the essays cos I focused so much on the MCQ and when it came to the real thing, I found the MCQ a lot better than the essays ://
    When I told my tutor that I was applying to Oxford she basically said there's no point because I'll be up against more rich and privileged kids who have been working towards this their whole lives. I was extremely disheartened but also very motivated to just prove her wrong. I worked and worked on my PS and after 5 drafts, it's finally polished and I sent off my UCAS just earlier today! Also spoke to all of the teachers writing my reference and they said they're doing their best to back me up and write a strong piece to back me up!

My point is, and relating this back to you, as long as you make a really good personal statement, make sure you get a strong reference, have good predicitons (which yours are!) and have good GCSEs (yours are good but could be little stronger), I say why not? I know I'm just a student and not sure if it actually makes me 'qualified' to say any of this but I just think that if you have the chance and willpower to apply to one of the most prestigious institutions in the world, why wouldn't you? I know my chances of getting in are extremely slim especially with my AS grades but honestly I don't want to miss the oppurtunity to apply there. Hope this helps and gave you a bit of hope/motivation lol.
    (Original post by Charlie Hastings)
    Thank you so much for your opinion. I agree, why not give it a shot!! I've also just sent off my UCAS earlier today. Fingers crossed for both of us!! 😁
    Which colleges did you both apply to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mjustliving)
    St. Peter's wby?? I chose it because it just looked really nice and is apparently well- known for being friendly and having a close-knit community. It also looked very diverse and I was told it was 'informal' and doesn't give the 'traditional' Oxford experience which I'm kind of glad about lol. There were loads of other reasons but can't remember them off he top of my head- I sat there for hours narrowing down the wide range of colleges that offered Law and it was between St. Peter's and Wadham.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mjustliving)
    You can only apply for one on UCAS and I applied for Pembroke .

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.