Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to study Engineering (Mechanical) at Uni preferably Oxbridge. I thought i should get some work experience and/or participation in certain events. However I am not sure where to go the EDT etrust is one but its only in the UK. I live in Geneva, Switzerland. What can I do to get some experience, show enthusiasm and boost my application?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnasSheikh)
    I want to study Engineering (Mechanical) at Uni preferably Oxbridge. I thought i should get some work experience and/or participation in certain events. However I am not sure where to go the EDT etrust is one but its only in the UK. I live in Geneva, Switzerland. What can I do to get some experience, show enthusiasm and boost my application?
    Reading should be your first port of all. There are lots of good books on Engineering that should be accessible for you; Cambridge has a good reading list on their Engineering department's website (other reading lists are available). This is probably the most valuable thing you can be doing.

You do not require work experience. If you still would like to get some, ask around to see if any family members or family friends work in relevant companies and see if they could ask a work shadowing placement or similar. Some large firms offer work experience schemes, however these will generally be targeted at university students because there's a limited amount that school pupils can really contribute. If there are any universities with Engineering departments near you then you could try to email them to see if there's anything you could do there, or you could try emailing local companies.

I would have thought that there would be schemes in Switzerland aimed at getting people into Engineering but I'm not aware of them, sorry.

Good luck!
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnasSheikh)
    As per plagioclase, work experience is not a requirement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you want to do something then build an RC car/plane or start programming an Arduino kit, anything hands on will be very useful or at least give you an advantage later on

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.