The Student Room Group

How to enjoy maths

Ik this sounds like a dumb question but I'm doing A level maths + Further maths because I want to do Mech Eng in the future but right now I'm hating maths and further maths and I'm finding it hard to concentrate so I'm asking if you guys have any tips to rekindle my passion for maths
Reply 1
Bump
Original post by M.IC3
Ik this sounds like a dumb question but I'm doing A level maths + Further maths because I want to do Mech Eng in the future but right now I'm hating maths and further maths and I'm finding it hard to concentrate so I'm asking if you guys have any tips to rekindle my passion for maths

Practice enough so that you are good at it.

I quite disliked the maths that I wasn't good at, but actually quite liked doing what I was good at.

How are your grades doing so far?
Reply 3
Are you AS or A2? personally it took me a while to settle in AS maths after absolutely coasting during GCSE, it takes some time getting used to the way they frame questions at this level and the C1-C2 cross over is just ugh but A2 is much better
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Smack
Practice enough so that you are good at it.

I quite disliked the maths that I wasn't good at, but actually quite liked doing what I was good at.

How are your grades doing so far?

Yeah that's exactly how I feel! I hate maths I don't understand.
Right now for maths in an end of topic test I got a B (74%) and In one of my hwks I got an A (87.5%) but however in another one I got 65% which was graded as a C :frown:
So right now I'd say I'm not doing the best of my ability given my GCSE's
Reply 5
Original post by M4cc4n4
Are you AS or A2? personally it took me a while to settle in AS maths after absolutely coasting during GCSE, it takes some time getting used to the way they frame questions at this level and the C1-C2 cross over is just ugh but A2 is much better

I'm AS right now but its new spec so AS doesn't really exist:frown:

And can I ask how long it took you (I'm still trying to find my way)
I do maths and further maths at A2 and all I can tell you is grades go down when you start AS level, you can’t expect to get an A* at GCSE and then be getting straight A’s at AS level because that’s just not how it works. I got D’s on some tests at the start of AS year but ended up with A’s in both the subjects during my AS exams

Just keep working at it and you’ll learn to love it :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by M.IC3
Yeah that's exactly how I feel! I hate maths I don't understand.
Right now for maths in an end of topic test I got a B (74%) and In one of my hwks I got an A (87.5%) but however in another one I got 65% which was graded as a C :frown:
So right now I'd say I'm not doing the best of my ability given my GCSE's

Keep practising until you get better at it, then hopefully you'll feel more motivated. I think getting started is the hardest part, where it's all going over your head and you feel a bit out of your depth. When you get the hang of it, it should be better.

Quick Reply

Latest