Turn on thread page Beta

i know my gcse grades are fine (6a* 4a 1b), but I was 1 UMS off an A* for two subjects, so I begged my mum for remarks and she said no. Everyone else that got remarks for these subjects (about 7 for each) moved up to an A*, and they were 3/4 marks off, so I feel like I would've gone up. Their parents gladly let them get remarks, but of course my mum had to say no. I'm really upset because I'm sure I would've gone up (I was 99% sure that I'd get an A* in one of them). It's going to stay on my mind and be a massive regret for a while, especially when applying for uni knowing that I could've been rejected due to not getting those last 2 A*s. I'm very upset with my mum, not just because of this, but because she never wants to buy me anything, even if it's for school or a good cause. All of my friends' parents would buy them the things I want when they ask, but only my mum would say no. The remarks situation was the nail in the coffin. I've been very upset with her for the past hour because of it (my friends all got their marks back today) and I really can't do anything about it, since the deadline for remarks was 2 weeks ago. Do I have the right to be upset with my mum, or am I overreacting? I'm just very sad because I asked her for weeks and she didn't even consider it or my feelings and just said no, like she always does. Sorry it's long and sorry if I sound ungrateful.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    i know my gcse grades are fine (6a* 4a 1b), but I was 1 UMS off an A* for two subjects, so I begged my mum for remarks and she said no. Everyone else that got remarks for these subjects (about 7 for each) moved up to an A*, and they were 3/4 marks off, so I feel like I would've gone up. Their parents gladly let them get remarks, but of course my mum had to say no. I'm really upset because I'm sure I would've gone up (I was 99% sure that I'd get an A* in one of them). It's going to stay on my mind and be a massive regret for a while, especially when applying for uni knowing that I could've been rejected due to not getting those last 2 A*s. I'm very upset with my mum, not just because of this, but because she never wants to buy me anything, even if it's for school or a good cause. All of my friends' parents would buy them the things I want when they ask, but only my mum would say no. The remarks situation was the nail in the coffin. I've been very upset with her for the past hour because of it (my friends all got their marks back today) and I really can't do anything about it, since the deadline for remarks was 2 weeks ago. Do I have the right to be upset with my mum, or am I overreacting? I'm just very sad because I asked her for weeks and she didn't even consider it or my feelings and just said no, like she always does. Sorry it's long and sorry if I sound ungrateful.
    What about your father?
    I can absolutely see your side and you should advertise for new parents who will buy you presents and pay for remarks.

Why not use your own money if you wanted them so bad? You could have sold what you own to raise the money or ot a job?

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps she was worried about paying for it (I don't know her financial situation). If she doesn't have much money then she will only tend to pay for basic necessities.

It is unfortunate for you, but an A grade is still really good. You can still do a lot of things with your grades, and you have the chance to shape your own future. Don't dwell on it too much and focus on what lies ahead 🙂

(Original post by cheesecakelove)
    Perhaps she was worried about paying for it (I don't know her financial situation). If she doesn't have much money then she will only tend to pay for basic necessities.

It is unfortunate for you, but an A grade is still really good. You can still do a lot of things with your grades, and you have the chance to shape your own future. Don't dwell on it too much and focus on what lies ahead 🙂
    That's true. We're kinda poor but not so poor that we can only buy food and nothing else. Thank you for the advice, I will definitely try not to dwell on it <3

(Original post by 999tigger)
    What about your father?
    I can absolutely see your side and you should advertise for new parents who will buy you presents and pay for remarks.

Why not use your own money if you wanted them so bad? You could have sold what you own to raise the money or ot a job?
    My dad doesn't live with us and ignores my messages asking him for money. I'm not allowed a job, which was something that I forgot to add. I'm not asking for presents, I was just mentioning that she never buys me anything when I ask for it. I wanted a notepad for school for £4, and she refused to buy me it. Stuff like that.

My dad doesn't live with us and ignores my messages asking him for money. I'm not allowed a job, which was something that I forgot to add. I'm not asking for presents, I was just mentioning that she never buys me anything when I ask for it. I wanted a notepad for school for £4, and she refused to buy me it. Stuff like that.
    You could try Poundland or The Works for cheaper stationery. £4 is a lot.

ReputationRep:
    Hi I was wondering if you knew that if you did get a remark and your mark went up you would get your money back? Maybe you should have mentioned that to your mum.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Some parents like teaching their kids young that they can't rely on them all the time. My dad is similar, but less strict. If you want something in this world, you have to work for it in order to get it.

ReputationRep:
    Hey.
    I feel really bad for you because If it was me I know I would be devastated.
    But here's the thing.
    You gotta move on and get over it and focus on your a level. Do so great in that so that your a gcse results won't matter much.
    Plus parents aren't perfect. Maybe think of all the other things your mum does for you and try to forgive and forget.
    Good luck.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Unless you're applying to Oxbridge, your GCSE marks won't matter for university applications

ReputationRep:
    I’m guessing you don’t have any idea how tight money must be really
    Do you know what the income and outgoings are?
    You shouldn’t. Parents shouldn’t give those details to their children. It’s enough to say it’s unaffordable.
    It’s tough but if money is tight then £4 is a lot. She could do two meals for that
    Try not to dwell too much. It’s done now and shouldn’t affect your applications Work hard in sixth form and you’ll be fine

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 5, 2017
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.